Sunday, October 4, 2009

Yakima,WA

Well, a load out of the north today just wasn't meant to be. After I posted this morning, I headed out to get to our drop over in Hillsboro. I got there about 40 minutes earlier than I intended to. Being out on the road you really get your days mixed up. Here I was leaving early to miss the morning rush hour traffic and it was Sunday! Oh well. I guess it is better to be early than late.

This is a place that we had delivered to before so that made things go smoothly. Although because of the way they had the trailers parked that were not in the docks, it made it really tight for me to get backed in. I am sure I cleared the front of my truck with a parked trailer by no more than maybe two inches. But I managed to get backed in without waking J up and they had my measley load of four pallets unloaded in about 10 minutes.

Knowing that we wouldn't have a load right away, I took my hazmat placards off and headed out to the TA on I-5 at x292. It was either there or go back to the TA in Troutdale. The one on I-5 was maybe 10 miles closer so that is the one I chose. Of course after sitting there about two hours I got our new work assignment and it had me heading to Washington so I had driven the wrong way. Just my luck!

As I headed out of the parking lot, J woke up wondering what was going on. I told him we had our next load. The bad thing is that it doesn't pick up until tomorrow between 0800-1600. The good news is that I drove us all the way to Yakima,WA today so J will get a restart on his hours since he won't have to work today. And then tomorrow, he will pick up the load since we have until 1600 and that means I will get tomorrow off and I will get a restart on hours. So even though we have to wait to pick the load up, it works for the best.

OH! Something I forgot to tell you. I think. Did I mention that we went in and volunteered for them to put us on electronic (paperless) logs? We did this a few weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE it! I can see how it could be hard for a solo driver to get some loads delivered "legally" given the time constraints that we sometimes have, but for a team it is wonderful. I am really glad that we went in and had them switch us over.

Now the only thing we have to worry about tomorrow is what the road conditions will be like. I heard that Idaho was getting so much snow that it was white-out conditions. I am going to have to get online and see what part of the state is getting hit. With our luck, it will be the exact part that we need to go through! Welcome to Winter!!

4 comments:

JokesterX said...

Just wondering if you happened to have seen an SRT truck with a stuffed Kenny in the passenger side windshield while picking up those pears?

T-Net said...

Hey there! I didn't notice Kenny, but I did notice the truck. Was that you??

JokesterX said...

Most likely yup, I was there on the 5th around 1200 local time. I pulled into the dock right after a Prime pulled out for my load of pears going to Gerber in Fort Smith.

T-Net said...

If it was a green truck, then that was us. I was out walking the dog and walked past you when you were parked up past the loading dock. Did you see me and Smokey? :) Also, we delivered to Fort Smith too! How funny! Our appt time was for like 1100 (don't remember the date) but we got there around 2100 the night before and they went ahead and unloaded us. I can't believe we were in the same parking lot and didn't notice it until after we had already left!