Thursday, November 15, 2007

Almost to the east coast again

We are 3/4 the way to destination on this load which is Asheville,NC. We managed to stop in W. Memphis during their normal working hours. That was a good thing. Our DBL/DBR are here in W. Memphis and we needed one of the stickers that say "Team Operation Co Driver in Bunk" and we can only get them from them. We had asked before at a fuel desk and they said we had to get them from the DBL. Personally I think that is kinda stupid. I mean, the only reason any one would want one on their truck is if they are team and for safety reasons, right? It isn't so the truck will look cool. And it isn't as if Solo drivers are going to be asking for one. Just struck me as odd the way they treat these stickers as if they are top secret or something.

So we are still here in W. Memphis and J is taking a nap. I'm going to wake him up at 1800 hrs. He "tried" to sleep through Oklahoma but I-40 just sucks so bad through there that he only got about 5 hours sleep after driving almost 600 miles and getting to bed around 0400. There is no real rush though. He only has 513 miles to destination and that shouldn't be a problem. Even if he starts at 1830 he will just about make it by 0300-0330. I am about to look at google earth and check out the destination and see if it is a big facility or not. We have an 0700 appointment, so I have to see if there is room to park there or if he will need to park elsewhere and me drive us in at appointment time. It is times like this that a laptop comes in SO handy! Getting a visual of a place that you will be arriving at in the middle of the night really helps with your sense of direction.

Today I drove from Clinton,OK to W. Memphis,AR. Because it is just now really cooling off this far south, a lot of the trees are changing colors. I really enjoyed my drive through eastern Oklahoma and all of Arkansas. Absolutely gorgeous! I kinda wish I could drive this time of the year all the time. LOL!

Something wierd just happened. We got our next load on the Qualcomm for when we drop this one off tomorrow. FIRST, we aren't showing available until 0730 Eastern time. We get a message that is sending us 143 miles to pick up an empty then driving back 114 miles for a 1000 am appointment for a live load. NO WAY that is going to work. There is just no way that I can drive 254 miles in 2.4 hours AND include the time spent dropping and hooking up. So I called Operations and they said they would check with the trip planners and see what is up or at least find us a closer trailer for us. I know the computer does a lot of the work and just matches available teams to the loads in the area, but shouldn't a live person be overseeing things and catching stuff like this? Hmmmmm AND it is only a 815 mile run. Seems like a short run for a team. Oh well, I guess I just do what I am told..... haha

No comments: