Friday, November 16, 2007

Some days are just a Fuster Cluck

And this has been one of those days. At about 0430 this morning, J wakes me up as he is pulling into the consignee in Asheville,NC. So I get up and hop in the front seat. Make our way through this TINY town and find the place. I had called the evening before and they said opened at 0430. After banging on numerous doors, J gets someone to answer and they say we have to wait until our appt time at 0700. Oookay. We are dropping a trailer, not waiting to be unloaded. Anywho, he then asks about a bathroom. Guy tells him they don't have one that us drivers can use. WTF? Seriously? Ok, at this point, we are an hour and a half early for our appointment. (It was 0430 Central time but we were on Eastern time in NC). So we hope in the truck, drive back 15 miles to a TA where we can go to the bathroom. Take care of that business (I felt much better thank you very much!) and I hop in the drivers seat, get my logs done, and start my day by driving us back to the consignee. We get there right at 0700 their time. So I go to the door again. A lady answers the door and tells me to back to door 6 and someone would be right out to break the seal. 45 minutes later, I am at the door again, because no one has come out. Finally get someone out there and I am able to leave the place around 0800.

Ok, got that done and am now bobtailing over to pick up my empty trailer in Mountain Home,NC. Initially, there wasn't an empty in a 250 mile radius, and I called back this morning and they found this one for me. So I go pick it up and head to my next load which had a 1000 appt for a live load. As I am pulling into the shipper to get loaded my Qualcomm goes off and ther is a msg from my trip planner that says the following: "Hey team, since we can't find any empties in the area, we are going to send a solo over to pick this load up and relay it to you in Knoxville,TN so you can head that direction." Again, WTF I say? So I get on the phone and call my Trip Planner and explain to him there must be some kind of misunderstanding. I am AT the shippers as we speak I tell him. My log history that he should be able to see, should show that I am assigned an empty trailer and that the problems of the empty trailer was taken care of. He informs me that the box planners called him in a tizzy because there were no empties for us. Well, they said there was one but we couldn't have that one. If that was the case, then why did they assign it to me and let me leave with it? ARGH!! To make a long story short, I told him I was at the shipper, cancel the solo driver and find him another load, we have this one covered. Ok, great, get the load and head out.

Now I am sitting at a Pilot in Knoxville while J gets a couple hours of non-moving sleep. As I am sitting here, we get our next load which we will pick up tomorrow after we drop this one. Cool. Drive 144 miles from Neenah to pick up a load in MI then drive 1987 miles to deliver in Portland,OR for a 1100 appt on Monday. Huh? How do they think I am going to drive 2000 miles in a company truck in a day and a half? Not happening. So I let them know it will be more like 1800 when I deliver, maybe earlier, but I will keep them updated on that. :)

And another thing, RED RED RED!!! That is all I say today! RED leaves! Not orange or yellow or green, but RED. It was beautiful.

So that was my day. J is up now so I am gonna pull around and get fuel then he is going to take us out of here.

Holla later!

2 comments:

mike said...

Hey Guys! First time reading your blog. We have enjoyed it. We have also read your post's on another site. Sounds like a suck day but you seem to handle it well. Impressed with you positive up-beat attitude on the life. Interested in what life on the road is like. My wife and I are waiting for our class in Jan. We will keep reading with the hope of gaining a better feel for the life.
Stay Safe and keep "positive waves" moving! So much of what we read about the life is negative so it's a pleasure when you post. Thanks!!

T-Net said...

Thanks Mike! I have my moments but I try to stay positive. Being negative just takes too much energy! I try to look at the glass as half full when it hits the fan. I am glad that you are enjoying my posts and stay tuned. :)