Friday, June 6, 2008

FINALLY made it for Ft Worth! Bad Storms!

Since I last posted we left California and made it to Texas. After stopping at the rest area in Westley,CA I took off driving day shift the next morning. I got a full 10 hour break and decided I do better driving during the day. I am a little more patient than J in traffic but mainly I was just having problems driving at night after the incident of being ran off the road. So I took off and got us to Barstow,CA. We switched there. The winds were really high out there in CA. Thank God it was a really good tail wind for us but you really had to watch out when you came around a corner because the side wind will whip you all around. Coming into Barstow off of Hwy 58, I took Lenwood to cut over to the truck stops. That put the wind directly at my side. And that little road has signs for blowing sand. I ended up going about 25 mph, felt like I was going to get knocked over, about 15 ft visibility and the sand hitting the truck sounded like it was getting sand blasted. It was really freaky.

Anyway, made it through there and J took off driving. We stopped in Ludlow,CA about 50 miles down the road for a bathroom stop. We almost couldn't walk because it was so windy. It litterally about knocked me over. I checked the weather and they were saying 30-40 mph winds with gusts over 60 mph. Again, thank goodness it was a tail wind for us. I felt really bad for the couple of Prime drivers that were headed west. I bet they were getting 4 mph or less with that head wind. J gets us to Winslow,AZ around 0400 and I take off from there. I make it into NM and what do I find? SNOW on the ground. Someone missed the memo again that it JUNE!! Sheesh! I make it to Clines Corners,NM where we had been planning to have lunch and they were only serving breakfast. That sucked because I wanted a Green Chile Cheeseburger. I told her we would wait, even though it was an hour and ten minutes till they served lunch. She was nice and asked what I was wanting and said that she would check and see if they would make it since it was something simple, and they did. I had been craving that since CA and I wasn't leaving until I had it! Got my belly full and took off again. Drove us into Adrian,TX and stopped at a little gas station there to switch drivers.

From there J took over and he had the final leg home. What should have been an easy 390 miles turned into a mess. We took Hwy 287 from Amarillo and ended up behind a bad line of storms. Tornados and super high winds. A semi was on its side from the wind along with a truck and camper and a truck pulling a boat. Somewhere just west of Wichita Falls,TX we ended up stopped on the highway for 4 hours because a tree was uprooted from a cemetary, hit a lady's trailer, and on it's way to hit her trailer, it drug the power lines down across the highway and completely snapped the poles. J called in to tell them we didn't know if we would be late or not because we didn't know how long we would be there. We were making good time and would have been about 3 hours early. Ended up being an hour late for our appointment. But we can't control Mother Nature. When J called in, the guy told us that we have a small drop yard up in Oklahoma, or rather USED to have one, until these storms blew through. He said luckily no one was in the building at the time it was destroyed. DANG!

The good news is that we made it and are getting unloaded. As soon as we are done here, we are going to drop the trailer and head home! Time for more packing, cleaning and graduation.

No comments: