Friday, September 5, 2008

Oakley,KS...for the 2nd time today

Yesterday morning we called to see if the part had made it yet and it hadn't so we got a late checkout at the hotel for 1300 hours. We figured the part should be in by that time. While we waited I did laundry and then we walked across the street to the restaurant to grab some breakfast. For the life of me I can't think of the name of the place, but if you are in Utah on I-70, take exit 40 and the restaurant is on the southwest corner across Main St from the Flying J which is on the southeast corner. I have to say that we had dinner and breakfast there and both were excellent. The breakfast was superb though. We each had an omlett, three eggs at that, and it was awesome. You know how sometimes you get an omlett at a restaurant and it is rubbery because of the way they cook the egg and they just spread it out flat on the grill, add the ingredients and roll it up? Well not this place. They were made how I make them at home, which if I may say so, is really good. They were a bit pricey, at I think $6.99 or $7.99 for the omlett, hashbrowns and toast, but worth it. Neither one of us could finish our plates, and that is a huge omlett if J couldn't finish it so we definitely got our moneys worth.

We finish eating and head back to the room, get the last clothes out of the dryer and we get a call that the part was in and our truck is already fixed. It was only about 1215 hrs. Awesome. This place that worked on the truck was the best. They gave us a ride to the hotel, and didn't mind taking Smokey, picked us up when they needed the truck moved so they could get to another truck then came and picked us up when it was done. They really went above and beyond. When we got the truck loaded up and ready to go again, we asked about a vet so we could get Smokey's stitches out. He gave us directions and let us leave the trailer at the shop while we took Smokey down. We found the place with no problems but they were closed. So I open up the laptop and find another vet there in Richfield. I called and didn't understand what the lady said when she answered, but told her I had two questions. First, where was she located compared to where I was at. Found out it was close so then I go on to explain that we had Smokey fixed in Chicago and just need the stitches removed and I wanted to see if they could do that. This lady just busts out laughing and said she would love to help me with that but I called an auto repair shop! It was hilarious! On the internet they had listed the wrong number to the vet that I was trying to call. She was super nice though and got a kick out of it. She was helpful in the end though because her daughter just had gotten her dog her shots so she put me on hold and called her and came back on the line with the correct number. I apologized and thanked her again and we hung up the phone laughing. This time I dial the right number and get ahold of the vet, playing attention to what she said when she answered the phone, and explained what I needed done again. She said no problem and gave me directions. Litterally less than a mile away. Off we go in the truck down little dirt roads and the lady is standing out in the big dirt lot waving at us so we don't miss the place. We get Smokey out and get his stitches removed, he gets a treat, and the lady doesn't charge us a thing. I can say I am really impressed with all the people in Richfield,UT from the truck repair, the restaurant, the hotel, the vet and even the auto shop I called by mistake. It wasn't a problem being stuck in that nice town overnight at all!

OK, get all this done, get back to the truck and tell our FM that we are ready. We hook up to the trailer and drive down the block to the Flying J to wait for a load. We only wait about 15 minutes and we get a load. But I can't believe what I am seeing. They want us to deadhead 781 miles back to Kansas to pick up a load going back to California. I was about to call him and tell him he had lost his mind, then did the math and realized while is wasn't a great paying load, it still paid decent, even factoring in all the empty miles. So we decide to go ahead and accept the load. Then we run into a problem with the trailer. There is no registration papers for it! We finally get the printer up and running and we are able to get a registration card printed from the Prime website. Now it is 1600 and we are FINALLY on our way BACK to Kansas to pick up this new load assignment.

At this point J is driving because it is 1600. We stop in Green River to grab dinner real quick (to go) and we are off again. J does a great job and gets us through Utah, across Colorado and he gets me about 60 miles shy of the Kansas border. We stop at a rest area and then I am up and running. I have about 300 miles to go to the shipper. We had an 1100 appt time, but I got there at 1000 hrs because I knew it was already pre-loaded and ready for us. I could have been there quite a bit sooner, but it rained on me the WHOLE way. And it is a little two lane road the lad 150 miles or so and that meant slow going. I finally get there, drop the trailer, find the new one, hook up, get my paperwork and head out to scale. There is Flying J on the corner just up the street, so we scale and go inside and grab something to eat. Grab the scale ticket, we are legal, and we are off. Now I am backtracking back the same road that I had just traveled earlier in the day to get back up to I-70. I make it to Oakley,KS where there is a TA and call it a day.

As I was getting out of the truck to go inside to the restroom before I woke J up, there was a guy walking his Boxer. He got a kick out of Smokey standing up on the steering wheel watching me and asked what kind of dog he was. We got to talking and I got Smokey out to play with his dog. Turns out his dog is a female boxer but they are the same age. (And luckily he is now fixed!) But they both had a really good time playing and "boxing". It was really cute.

So that is what happened yesterday and today. J is driving now. His goal is to get to Rawlins,WY tonight and then tomorrow morning I plan on making it to Elko,NV. From there we will decide how far to go and where to stop for the night. The first drop we have is in West Sacramento but we can't park overnight. And if J drives straight in, he will get there about 0100 local time and our appt isn't until 0600 local so we will have some time to kill. We have a friend in Winnemucca,NV that we haven't seen in a LONG time. Maybe we will see if we can meet her for dinner or something and kill some time that way. That is something to think about....

1 comment:

OTRjournal said...

Hey guys, I ate at that same restaurant in Richfield last week! It is across from the Flying J and shares a parking lot with the Super 8 off of I-70 exit 46 (I think). The name was something generic but the food was excellent and the surroundings are interesting. It looks like a big converted house.

Jim