Monday, September 1, 2008

Romulus,MI

At the moment it is about 1140 and we are sitting at a Mobil Travel Plaza right here at x20 on I-275 just north of I-94. I am going to get a 34 out of this but J can't drive again until 1500. I am thinking of calling the shipper and see if by any chance they are open and can load us early today so we can hit the road. We were hoping last night we could drop the trailer and pick it up later, but no such luck. J got us to our receiver at around 0200 but no one showed up till around 0300. Then we didn't get unloaded until almost 0500 which is when J's 14 ran out. Luckily this place is only about 5-6 blocks down so we could drive straight here and we lucked out and got the ONLY parking space. It was kind of funny because they said the load isn't exactly what they ordered. There was too much of one kind of tomatoe and not enough of another kind. My guess is that is because they switched tomato loads with that other team. Anyway, J said they signed the bills "Received under protest" which I find extremely amusing.

I did go inside a few minutes ago and got a chicken sandwich from the Burger King here and I wasn't impressed with it. The chicken had been sitting under a warmer and was leathery and the rest of the sandwich was cold. As in the cheese didn't melt and the bun wasn't toasted. Fries were cold too. Lucky for them I just woke up and didn't feel like arguing. I did get to watch Fox News inside and see some of the coverage of Hurricane Gustav. Looks like it hit as a CAT 2 which is wonderful since for a while they were predicting that it could get up to a CAT 5 and it hit Cuba as a CAT 4. New Orleans and the whole Gulf coast was lucky this time.

Joel, we may call you later. It just depends on it they will load us early and when J wants to take off. He may decide to be lazy today, which I don't blame him, and wait until the last minute to take off. I guess when you have a down day, you have to take advantage of it. I know I slept till 1030 this morning and it was NICE!!

2 comments:

joel said...

No sweat, I actually either:
a. ate something funny
b. am suffering a bodily reaction to overwork: I worked every day except this past wedsday, for the last 23 days straight.... and including an especially busy weekend involving
a. Welcome Weekend
b. University of Michigan home-opener football game
and compounded by
c. Move-in; this adds about a 1-2 dozen thousand people to the city, most of whom aren't familiar with navigating the city.... and it's a bit trickier than a simple grid system.


So, whatever was causing the headache and nausea,
I decided to knock off after 6 hrs - instead of the usual 14.
I am out-of-service for driving anywhere, or even going out. Still, I recommend Ann Arbor as a good place to layover and see a few sites.

*If you feel like a *serious walk*, take the pup to the Nichols Arboretum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichols_Arboretum
(I usually enter off Nichols Drive, but many are fond of the Geddes entrance. )

*Downtown A2 has lots of great places for dinner, dancing, and drinks.

*University of Michigan central campus has many historic and beautiful buildings, as well as ample opportunities for peoplewatching.

*Taxi services are competitively open to negotiation on out-of-town fares.

*Movies, local concerts, and the amusing interactions with the locals^1 make A2 a good place to include in your journeys.

1. Ann Arbor is sometimes described as "25 square miles surrounded by reality"

Heffard said...

tnet.
Funny. I read your blog and my wife has the tv on, but muted for a phone call. I look and see a Burger King commercial and cops are chasing the "king" I thought of the meal you described.
I laughed out loud.
Our home town BK is awful too.
Stay safe!!