Sunday, May 10, 2009

Marengo,OH

Do you ever do something, then after you start doing it, realize that it was stupid and just want to kick yourself in the ass? I had one of those moments today. I set my alarm for 0700 to get up so that I could see if by some miracle I had a load assignment yet. I didn't. So I headed into McDonald's grabbed breakfast then came out and walked Smokey. After that I got back into the truck and chilled for a while. Talked to my Mom since it is Mother's Day. Also got a call from Justin, my step-son, although I am sure he and Jessica got a text from J reminding them what day it was. LOL Jessica sent me a text since she was at work. Then I talked to J for a while.

After all that, I decided I better get all my trip sheets filled out so that I could send them in to get paid. As I was working on the last one, my Qualcomm beeps. Awesome, I have a load. It loads at 0300 Monday morning and delivers up to Alpena,MI at 0800 on Tuesday. Double awesome because that will go on this paycheck.

Now I have to sit and figure out when I need to leave to pick the load up since it is picking up really early. I decide that I will go ahead and head that direction and find a place to park that is fairly close. That way, when I get up, I can get the load and get most of the driving done since I stopped early enough to get a 10 hour break in before I picked up. Now this is where I want to kick myself in the ass.

I headed out and got maybe 30 miles down the road when it hits me. If I would have stayed until at least 1930 hours tonight, I would have gotten a 34 hour restart! So I just screwed myself! Even if I had left at 1930 and drove the 150 miles to pick the load up, I still would have had time to get half way there, take another 10 hour break and still be able to deliver on time. ARGH! I am so mad at myself! This is going to come back to bite me in the ass later in the week when I will be forced to sit for 34 hours and not make money when I could have accompolished that today. It is frustrating. This is the part about driving solo that I don't like. All the planning. I know solo guys do this all the time, but I am just not in that frame of thinking since I am so used to running team.

So here I sit at the Pilot in Marengo,OH. I am going to head to bed in about 30 minutes then get up and be on the road by around 0130 to drive the last 46 miles to the shipper. I am hoping for a preloaded trailer so that I can drive the majority of the way and stop at the last truck stop before the receiver. That way I can get a good nights sleep and then drive in Tuesday morning for my 0800 appointment.

This is Tracy with her head up her ass signing off for now.......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We all do things like that without thinking. I know I'm always like what the heck was I thinking. Very cool that you're continuing to drive solo. I was a passenger with my husband off and on for the first 11 years he drove then decided I also wanted to drive. We're ok if we HAVE to drive team but prefer running solo as long as we're on dedicated or regional routes where we're home weekly (and together). Cool blog!

T-Net said...

Thanks Gabs! I guess I could get used to solo if I had to, but we would rather team. LOL. Anyway, I guess I will find out later if this comes back to bite me. Thanks for following along with me on my adventures!