Saturday, May 9, 2009

Streetsboro,OH

I made it here! Last night I settled in for at the Pilot in Caldwell,OH and decided to get up and get an early start today to get this load delivered. I got up around 0400 and grabbed a shower and then hit the road.

I only had 125 miles to go this morning so it was an easy drive. I made one stop on the way and that was for Smokey. After walking about 25 minutes, he finally found a place he considered worthy of leaving a deposit. LOL We also ran across a snake. I hate snakes! It was a little one, but still. Gross!

Back on the road again, I made it to the receiver around 0915 local time. It was a drop so I dropped my loaded trailer in their unbelievably muddy lot. Then I proceeded to the other side of the building to pick up an empty in an even muddier lot. I finally got hooked up and pulled around the front to do my actual trailer inspection and to send in a message that I had picked up an empty. I also wanted to find out if I would be getting a load out of there or if I should head somewhere else to wait.

While I was waiting for a response, I walked Smokey again and talked to another Prime driver. He let me know of a McDonald's just down the road that had truck parking. I am glad that he did because I would have gotten back on the turnpike in search of a place to wait. After getting a message that he didn't know when I would get a load, I decided to head on down to this McDonald's to hang out.

I got here right at 1000 hrs so I was right in time for lunch. Perfect since I wasn't in the mood for breakfast. Then it was time to take Smokey for a walk again. I swear I feel like that is all I do lately! See, he will get in the passenger seat and whine when he needs to go out. And he has been doing that a lot this week since I have been driving solo. But when I take him, he may pee one time and be done. Then we get back in the truck and 10 minutes later, he is whining again. I know he was kinda constipated when we got him back from the kennel, but that has passed. So I don't know what his deal is. I think he realized I am driving alone and Daddy is missing and he is just bored. I think he just wants to get out of the truck and play.

Anyway, where was I going with that? Oh yeah. So I get him out of the truck after I had lunch and take him for another walk. What did we see? Another snake! What is up with the snakes?? We see all these signs at the rest areas in New Mexico and Arizona to watch out for poisonous snakes and insects and we have never once seen a snake. Then I come to Ohio and see two in one day?? And on top of that, at the rest area where we saw the first snake, I picked up a tick! NASTY!! That little bugger was trying to get in my ear! Thank goodness I felt him. I thought I just had something on my ear, but when I pulled it away and saw what it was, I about freaked out. Now mind you, I am not afraid of them, and I don't have a problem pulling them off the dog, but I don't want to be pulling them off of me. And on top of that, I was driving. Damn glad I didn't wreck trying to get the critter flicked out of the wing window! Then for about an hour after that I kept thinking I had others crawling on me. Whew! Glad I didn't have nightmares about invasions of the ticks when I took a nap!!

Speaking of naps, after I walked Smokey, I took a well deserved nap. Before I did that however, I talked to two other Prime drivers that are in the same parking lot as I am. Both have been here since last night. One had just gotten a load that picks up tomorrow and the other still didn't have a load. Now there are 6 of us in this parking lot and 4 more across the street at the old Walmart. I sent in a message and the one I got back said to get comfortable for the night and that it would be in the morning before I would get a load. Great, just great! Why couldn't I be stuck somewhere that the weather is nice instead of here where it is cold and misty?

After I took my really nice nap, I headed next door for dinner. But I had breakfast. See how I had lunch at 1000 hrs and I had breakfast at 1700 hours. I think I am a confused individual! But it was yummy and I had leftovers that I brought Smokey. He was appreciative of the ham and sausage I brought him. :)

So here I sit waiting until tomorrow to get a load. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I don't want to be stuck here until Monday!!

No comments: