Sunday, August 31, 2008

Troy,IL

What an interesting couple of days we have had. After our nice night out of the truck, we get up and get around and head back to the shipper. It is 1200 our time and 1000 their time, right when they are opening. Go back up next to the trailer and J jumps out and goes to check. Nope, no load yet. Ok, well, since it is lunch time we decide to head up to the Pilot and grab something to eat. We HAVE to get a load back through Dallas so we can pick up our Nutri System food that was shipped so we are having to eat out till we can get back through there. Anyway, grab a bite and decide to just chill out there in the truck and kill some time. About 2 hours later I call back and still no truck. By this time it is 1400 our time. He mentions that he has our number from when we stopped the night before and he will just call us when the truck shows up. Cool beans. I decide to read for a while and then take a nap. Around 1600 we wake up and J calls just to check and still nothing. Then about 5 minutes later they call and say that they called and the truck was in the customs compound so it would definitely make it across the border. At this point we decide to go ahead and head back to the shipper. As we are pulling in another Prime truck was pulling out, just heading down to the Pilot and was headed back to wait for their load. We go ahead and back up to the trailer and decide to wait it out.

About 20 minutes go by and we hear a truck pulling in and we are hoping it is our load of tomatoes. Nope, it is the other Prime truck returning. They pull up and the driver gets out to go check in. It was nice outside and we had the truck and the APU off and just had the windows down. All of a sudden I hear this driver cussing and raising hell about who knows what. I thought to myself, just great, some asshole giving Prime, and truck drivers in general, a bad name. I didn't get his truck number, but I should have. While he was standing up there I decided to go to the restroom so I walked up and the guy in the office pointed me in the right direction. I couldn't find it, so I came back to ask, and the other driver had walked off. I asked the guy what the drivers problem was, and he said that he didn't have a pick-up number and so they didn't know what he was picking up. I had a pick-up number so I have no idea why this driver didn't have a pick-up number. And I have no idea why he was being such an ass about it. Of course his phone was glued to his ear so he was probably dealing with his FM, but with his attitude, he wasn't getting very far with either his FM or the shipping office.

Finally at around 1730 local, 1930 our time, our load finally arrives. And lucky for us because the shipper closes at 1800 local. They take all the product off the arriving truck and put it straight into ours and we are ready to go. Hook up and we are off. The funny thing is that the guy causing a scene was still sitting there and didn't get his load. Either because he didn't get the pick-up number or because his product wasn't across the border. I just thought it was funny that he was going to be stuck overnight after causing such a scene. I am sure that he wasn't happy about that. I wonder if his FM is giving him layover pay like we got. I doubt it the way he was acting.

At any rate, we got loaded, headed to the Pilot to scale, found out we were legal and set out. It was nearly 2100 our time and we had been up all day. I hit the sack and J took off driving to get us to a little rest area just at the AZ/NM border. Having gotten to be so late, I got up at 0500 and headed out. By 1500 hours, I had made it to Clines Corners,NM where we had our traditional lunch that we always have when we pass through there. From there J took over and got us to Chandler,OK. That is where I took over this morning at 0300. I made it to Troy,IL where we just stopped for a much needed shower! I did send a message to our weekend dispatcher asking what it was looking like for a load tomorrow since it is a holiday. We will deliver around 0300 tomorrow (Monday morning) and wasn't sure if we would get a load out of there. He sent back that they pre-planned us on one but it doesn't pick up till 2130 tomorrow night. So we will have about 18 hours to kill. We are delivering in Romulus,MI so does anyone have any good ideas of what to do on a holiday in the Detroit,MI area?

That is it for us. I tried loading pics but was having issues so I will try again tomorrow while we are sitting around killing time.

2 comments:

joel said...

Ann Arbor is the place to be, 25 miles west of Romulus. I'm a taxi driver there, and I'd be happy to meet up with you. I've had a rough couple of days, but the $ can be as good as trucking during the academic year.
Call Campus Cab at 734-444-5354 and ask for Joel to call you back.

OTRjournal said...

If you're spending time in or near Detroit, MI my advice is park in a well-lighted place, make sure the doors are locked and keep your weapons ready. j/k

Good luck, Jim