Saturday, November 8, 2008

Gurdon,AR

YES!! We are out of the Ohio area. I must say that we have been really luck since we came on with Prime in April as far as not having to sit without a load. I guess it was just our time to have to sit.

I woke up yesterday morning and headed out around 0330. I picked up an empty trailer where we were supposed to pick up the day before and headed the truck towards Gary,IN. I got about 30 miles south of there and found a Gas City with truck parking so I parked to wait for a load. I got there around 1000 in the morning and we finally had a load come across around 1345. Head up to Oak Creek,WI which was 141 miles from where we were and be there by 1800 to pick up a load going to Laredo,TX. No problem. That gave me 4 hours to get there. Of course we hit rush hour traffic and at one point it litterally took us an hour to go 2.3 miles. I messaged in and told them we wouldn't make it by 1800. They said just get there by 1900 because that is when they close. Nothing like pressure. We were sweating because we thought it was a live load and we just didn't know if we could make it by even 1900 with the traffic the way it was. Well, it finally cleared out and we made it to the shipper at 1910 hours. When we checked in we were lucky enough to find out it was a pre-loaded trailer so all we had to do was drop and hook. Sweet! We found our trailer and were off to get scaled and hit the road.

I had also talked to our fill-in FM quite a few times during the day. He was trying hard to get us a good paying load so he pre-planned us on a load out of Laredo heading to CA. Our actual drop time is Monday morning in Laredo but they said we can drop it with the forwarder there after hours and early and just give the guard paperwork. So they now have us preplanned on a load heading out of Laredo on Sunday evening heading to Los Angeles,CA with a Tuesday drop at 1400. Problem is that we need to be in Amarillo by Thursday morning for J to catch his flight to go hunting. We were hoping to get into Lubbock on Wednesday afternoon but that isn't going to work. Best we can hope for is to get a load out of the LA,CA area and get into Amarillo late Wednesday night and drop it off to another team to take it to it's final destination. That being the case, it looks like my mom will meet us in Amarillo with our Suburban so J can take it to the airport and then my mom will ride back with me to Lubbock. We have to have the suburban at the airport there in Amarillo because that is where my dad is flying back into when he is finished riding with me for the week and he will need transportation back to Lubbock. Anyway, I think we have it figured out. I am just hoping that we get a load out of LA early so that we can get headed back.

Right now I have stopped in Gurdon,AR where we are going to grab a bite at the restaurant and then head back out. No big rush at this point. Only 660 miles to Laredo but we can't pick up the other load until after 1700 tomorrow. I figure we will get this load in around 0800-0900 in the morning so we will have some time to kill.

On a side note, have you seen that big storm that hit the Dakota's and Nebraska?? I talked to some friends of ours that drive for Schneider and they were stuck in a rest area up there in South Dakota from Wednesday night until this morning! And they only had some chips, cokes and cookies with them. They happened to pull into a rest area with another Schneider truck and the lady was a trainer and had some extra food and was nice enough to share some of what they had. She said she is DEFINITELY making sure they have an emergency food supply in case this happens again. We always have extra food, it is just so essential because you never know when something like this storm could happen! I am just really thankful that they made it to a rest area safely and that they made it through ok. I talked to her this morning and she said the first order of business was to get fuel then a shower then some REAL food to eat!

2 comments:

Stranger On An Even Stranger Planet said...

I can't believe this!!! I've been wishing I could meet you for almost a year (I started following your blog when you were still with Schneider and I was looking at Schneider's training program). You were parked sooooooo close I could have walked to see you! But instead, where was I? In Tennessee.... LOL! I haven't finished reading your entire post - just had to write this when I saw where you were "about 30 miles south of Gary..." Your stories have been a true inspiration to me as I keep dreaming in the back of my mind that "I want to be a trucker when I grow up!" Thanks! And yes, I definitely wonder where you are when you don't post for a week or two at a time!!!!

Buckshot said...

I hope you waved as you went by. Good luck to the Dr. and some pets for Smokey. Have fun next week with your dad. Stay safe out there. Jim