Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hebron,OH

If you look at a map you will see that we are only about 5o miles away from where we spent last night. We aren't really happy about it, but not much we can do. And it isn't our dispatchers fault so we can't complain about him either. So here is what happened....

Last night we dropped our load and they gave us another load that left out tonight. I think I told you about it. So last night we spent the night on the west side of Columbus,OH to kill some time. Got up today and had breakfast, a nice hot shower, went and got the trailer washed and headed to Hebron,OH for our pick-up. We got a message this morning that they would load us early, so we got there about 3 hours early. First thing when I get there I realize the place is packed with trailers so I park and walk around to find the Shipping office. I go in and give them my information and they say that our load has already left. Excuse me? What? They seemed a little confused and told me to go find the yard guy and find a place to park the empty then to come back in and we would figure out what is going on. Well, that took about 45 minutes because they had me to to a yard across the street and then we had to wait for them to move other trailers out of the way. Finally get the trailer dropped and head back over. I had called dispatch and told them what was going on and they gave me another order number to give them when I went back inside. When I got inside I gave them that number and they said that it had already left. To make a long story short, apparently it was a fairly small load and they combined it with another load that was going out and gave it to the first Prime driver (that had the other load) and just had him make two stops instead of his original one stop. Now, this wouldn't have been a problem, but the shipper failed to contact Prime and let them know what they had done. Therefore, Prime (and us) thought we still had a load. Prime didn't know that the other driver had both loads.

After getting that straightened out, and me actually trying to calm our fill-in FM down because he was pissed that we lost the load, we decided to head to the TA which was 3 exits down to wait for a new load and to grab some dinner. While we were in there he sent us a message back saying there was basically no freight in Ohio, Michigan or Indiana but for us to head to Gary,IN which is right on the IL border to wait for a load in the morning. We called and told them we would head that way around 0300 because now it it too late to try to find a parking spot. There aren't many truck stops in the Chicago area and that is basically right northwest of Gary,IN since it is right on the border. If we left now we would get in around midnight or a little after. So for now the plan is for me to get up and head out around 0300, after going back to the shipper that our load got cancelled from and picking up an empty trailer, and get in around 0900. This way the truck stops will have cleared out some and if we don't have a load by then, I have a better chance of finding a truck stop to park at and wait.

Not really happy, but you know what they say. Shit happens. Gotta roll with the flow some times! So, I'm rollin........

1 comment:

Silvia said...

I hate to say it, but ever since you started beeing Owner Operators, you never had any bull happening untill today as far as I can remember and I read your blog all the time! I have been dealing with a lot of deadheading and loosing out on loads, and let me tell you, in my opinion your status is still "awesome". Don't be mad, it could be worse!