Sunday, November 16, 2008

Springfield,MO

We made it back to Texas around 1930 hours on Wednesday night so J was able to make his flight out of Amarillo on Thursday to go hunting. I talked to him today and he hasn't got anything yet but has seen quite a few does and bucks. The scope was mounted a little crooked on his rifle so once he got that fixed they went and got it sighted in right so he should have good luck in the next few days.

I picked my dad up on Friday morning in Lubbock ready to have a fun week together. First order of business was to go to Plainview,TX to pick up an empty. I get there and could only find one empty. I get hooked up to it and realize there is damage to the left front and there was no way I could load this trailer. After calling road assist and reporting the damage to Safety they have me take that trailer BACK to Lubbock to a Wabash dealer and drop it off. Get that done and head back to Plainview in hopes that they now have another empty. Luck was with us and they had one so we hooked up and headed north. Of course the trailer was dirty so we had to stop in Amarillo at the Blue Beacon to get it washed out. By this time it is around 1930 hours and we decide to call it a day. The load we were assigned could be picked up anytime after 1500 on Friday and before 1330 on Saturday. Since we had till the next afternoon we decided to stop there for the night. My dad has a bad back (degenerative disk disease) so we got a really nice spot right up front since I have a handicapped placard for him. Guaranteed the closest I have ever been able to park to the main building of a truck stop. It was really nice when I had to go to the restroom around 0100!!

We got up around 0500 and headed out by about 0600 or so and headed to our pick up in Cactus,TX at the meat plant. We lucked out with a preloaded trailer! While we were in Lubbock before we left out, I had bought a pair of waterproof boots and they came in handy at this meat plant. Where I had to park the trailer had about 4 inches of standing water so I pulled out my new boots and decided to find out if they were indeed waterproof. Turns out they are! I got the trailer parked and then headed over to find my loaded one. Hooked up and then had to take Smokey for a walk. Unfortunately he wouldn't go to the bathroom because I spent more time pulling out those thorns out of his feet than we did actually walking around. I figured we would try some other place. We pulled around to the gate and I had a bad seal on the trailer that wouldn't stay sealed so I ended up waiting another 20 minutes while they had to go to another building to have the paperwork reprinted with the right seal number on it. It just makes sense to me that the guard shack would have a computer hooked up to the main building that they could just go in and make the change and print off a new copy for me. But of course that makes sense and would be too easy so of course they have to do it the hard way. :)

Finally got everything in order and pulled out and headed about 2 miles down to a scale. Ended up and were about 350 pounds heavy on the drives so I pulled up and they 2 guys working the scale said they would slide them for me. I thought that was nice but it was all part of the service. I watched them do the same for the truck in front of me. Regardless it was appreciated! Ok, done and we head out. I get to Amarillo and fill up with fuel and decide to go ahead and rescale on a CAT scale just to make sure. I was good on weight and we were FINALLY able to actually head out of Texas, something we had been trying to do since around 0900 the morning before!

The load we had doesn't have to be in Shelbyville,IN until Tuesday at 1800 so they were having me drop this load off in Springfield,MO since there was so much extra time on it. Since I was in no rush, we stopped in Chandler,OK (or is is Candler?.. Anyway....) and spent the night. They have a little place there in town called the Lincoln Motel and there is a little lot behind it that has room to park a semi. We stopped there around 1730 for the night. We ate at a little mexican food restaurant right across the street for dinner and it was pretty darn good. Came back to the room and watched the last part of Alvin & the Chipmunks, a little news and then hit the sack.

At 0500 we were up and on the road by 0600. Made a few stops along the way. Stopped at Big Cabin to get smokes since they are cheap and have no tax there at the Smoke Shop. Also stopped at the McDonalds in Vinita for a small breakfast and just because it is a cool place that goes over the highway. We finally made it in to Springfield at 1200 but had to wait about 30 minutes to get into the facility. One of the other drivers was telling me they only had one tire guy working and three bays open so that was holding things up. After getting in and dropping off our paperwork, we took the truck and trailer through the wash bay and headed to park the trailer. Got that done and bobtailed around and went inside and showed my Dad around and treated him to a cheeseburger and fries at the cafe.

As we were walking out and I was opening the door to get in my truck, the guy next door hollered at me and it turns out it was Launchpad and Jokester from Primedrivers.net. I hadn't met either of them before so it was nice to visit for a few minutes with them. Luckily Launchpad recognized my truck number and then new for sure it was me when he saw Smokey! From there we made a quick stop at Walmart and then headed over here to the Campus Inn to spend the night. There are a lot of trucks at the yard waiting for a load and I knew we wouldn't get a load today. And since we have to have one to Denver I don't mind waiting. This week is really all about getting to spend time with my Dad. As long as I make enough to cover the truck payment, that is all I care about. So a nice easy week is perfect for me!

Not sure what we are going to do from here. Currently watching the Ford 400 at Homestead and then I think we are going to go have some dinner. He hasn't eaten at a Ruby Tuesday's before so it is either that or the BBQ place down on the corner that is supposed to be good. But a steak does sound really good and I think the best bet for that will be Ruby Tuesday's! Decisions, decisions.....

2 comments:

Sam Huss said...

Smokes are cheaper at the Pilot in Joplin than they are in Big Cabin. By about $4-5 for the brand I smoke anyway.

PrimeTime said...

Gret to spend time with your dad on the road, huh TNet? I wish I had known you were at the yard, We just passed right by you guys and didnt stop. Would have loved to have met your dad.