Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bloomington,IL

Well we are finally back out at it again! We had a nice relaxing weekend during which we did absoultely NOTHING! We really wanted to drive over to New Orleans but since we were under a load I was nervous about leaving it unattended all day long. I am sure it would have been ok, but on the off chance that something happened or the reefer quit running, I wanted to be close by. But we completely enjoyed our lazy days there.

We did finally have to get back to work, so at 0200 on Monday morning I got up (J was still up and hadn't went to bed) and got ready to head out. We were packed up and back in the truck at 0300 and after getting my log book done, we headed out around 0315.

We had about a 70 mile drive over to the receivers in Harahan,LA. After one quick bathroom stop we made it there around 0445 for our 0500 appt. Things were going good up to that point. But for whatever reason, it took them SEVEN hours to get me unloaded. I closed my doors and pulled out at 1215.

I was extremely tired having only gotten about 4.5 hours of sleep that night due to the other hotel guest making lots of noise. Really it wasn't their fault that I had to try to go to bed early. Anyway, since I was so tired, the first order of business was to find a truck stop to wait for our next load. I headed back west on I-10 and stopped in La Place,LA at a truck stop that had a Huddle House. The first thing I did when I got there was to go grab Smokey some dog food. We had ran out so he was getting a little too spoiled on people food. And that is not good for his digestive system. So after feeding him, we went in and grabbed some lunch then back out to wait for a load.

Our FM had told us that freight was slow and he was looking for a team load and that it may be a while. With that in mind, and given my lack of sleep, I decided at 1400 that I was going to take a nap. About 10 mintues later, J decided he is going to take a nap. Then about 10 minutes after that, our phone rings and it is our FM with a load. UGH! No rest for us!

We get up and get the information and head back over to Baton Rouge to pick up at EXEL. It is some kind of product from Exxon that is in bags like the bags of concrete that you get at Home Depot. It is a powder product of some kind. Luckily it is not hazmat and it is a dry van load, so no reefer this trip for us. Get to save a little money on that anyway!

We are currently headed up to Roseville,MN with this load and we will deliver it tomorrow at 0830. I have found a houseboat that is still on the market and available down in Atlanta. I have talked to our FM today and asked him to try to get us that direction as soon as he can. At the price, I don't want someone to snatch it out from my grasp! It will need a lot of interior work, but that is fine with us. We love fixer uppers. I am just concerned with the hull and motor. If those are working then I think we will be buying it. It is an older 1978 Stardust but it is 13x52. That is a goodsized houseboat. It has a full bed in the state room, two bunks and if you had a futon it could sleep six. The perfect weekend, chill out when we are home party boat. So wish me luck that it doesn't sell before we get to look at it. The guy quoted me around $3000 to have it moved to Texas from Atlanta, but he said that was a ballpark and it shouldn't be much more than that if even that much. So if anyone out there hauls boats or knows someone, I am taking names. :) I have a feeling that we may be needing someone here pretty soon. WooHoo!!!

3 comments:

Stranger On An Even Stranger Planet said...

Oh man, I feel terrible again.... I was in Effingham around 4:00 p.m. Central today.... I keep missing y'all!!!! Best wishes on your houseboat scheme! Houseboats and RV's.... Truly the best way to both travel and live cheap!!!! Well, besides semi's.... LOL!

Sam Huss said...

How does the whole houseboat thing work exactly? Do you pay a fee to keep it on a lake somewhere? Then just come and go and live in it as you like? I've never quite figured that out. Sounded like a pretty good idea!

T-Net said...

Stranger, one of these days we will both be in the same place at the same time and actually know it! LOL

With a houseboat you rent a boat slip. Prices range depending on the lake and the marina. You can get one fairly inexpensive. Say in the 300-500 a month range or even cheaper. Really depends on a lot of things including the size of the boat. The one we are looking at is a complete fixer upper. The main thing is if the hull and engine are in good shape. The back third of the hull has been replaced already and the rest seems to be in decent shape. He did mention the motor would need a complete servicing but that it ran when they took it out of the water two years ago I think it was. With a generator onboard it would have power so the only money we would pay would be the diesel fuel, money to dump the septic which is cheap, and the slip fee. We intend to pay cash so no payments on the boat itself. Like I said though, fixer upper, so it is dirt cheap and we can put a couple thousand into remodeling the inside. Gonna have to tear all the paneling out and put vinyl on the floors along with new counter tops and a stove. But we love doing that stuff and love a good project!