Saturday, March 21, 2009

Plainview,TX

What an interesting couple of days it has been. We headed out on Thursday and had a load delivering to Lubbock. This worked out awesome because I had some stuff I had gotten out of storage that my mom wanted. We picked up at 1300 and had to deliver by 2300. My mom works until 2130 and we pulled in right at 2200 to the Sam's where we were delivering so she was able to meet us there. As we were loading the Suburban with the stuff they guy said he coule get us in early. So J backed up to the dock and I went with my mom over to her apartment to unload the stuff we brought her. Luckily she lives less than 5 minutes from the Sam's Club there. After getting back to the truck we made plans to meet for breakfast the next morning if we didn't have another load.

Since the Sam's didn't have a restroom (they aren't open 24 hours) we headed to the other side of town to the Flying J to spend the night. I called my mom around 0600 to tell her I was going to head back that way and wouldn't you know it, that is when we get a load assignment. At least I got to see her a few minutes the night before. So I called her back and told her I had to head out.

They didn't have any load information yet, but sales had told our FM they had a load out of Marfa,TX and for us to head that direction. I was hoping to load out of Amarillo since it is only about 120 miles north of Lubbock versus loading in Marfa which is 300 miles south, but I just go where I am told.

I make it to Odessa, about 150 miles south, when I get the dreaded phone call that the load in Marfa has been cancelled and to hang tight where we were till they found us another load. I find a small truck stop and pull in and wait. At least it gave me time to eat lunch. I headed up some bean and ham soup and had a salad out of the fridge.

About two hours later we get a load assignment. This time they have us loading in Plainview, which is about 50 miles north of Lubbock, where I started the day off at. I proceed to get my logbook caught up, run inside the store real quick, and I am off. Backtracking I go back towards Lubbock. I made it to Brownfield where J and I switched.

From there, J had about 90 miles to go. My mom was at work, so I called my Dad to see if he wanted to have dinner with us that night. This load was suposed to be a drop and hook headed to Laredo. So I figured we would pick it up and head back through Lubbock and be there around 1900. That would give us time for a shower and then get to visit with him over dinner. I should have know that wasn't going to work give the way that they day had already started out.

We get down here to Plainview and check in around 1600. They tell us it isn't even loaded yet and they don't even have a trailer number yet. Great.... We drop our empty by the wash bay and I sent in a message letting dispatch know what was going on. I also told him that we were going to go grab some dinner while they figure out what the plan is. I then called dad and had to cancel dinner with him because we had no idea how long this was going to take.

We headed down to Furr's and wouldn't you know it, as soon as we pulled in, we get a message telling us the trailer number and that it should be loaded and to ask for that trailer. Since we weren't on a time crunch, we went ahead and ate and then headed back.

When we checked in the second time, they said that yes, it was loaded, but they didn't have the bills for it yet. They said that we could just park off to the side and they would call us when they get the bills. Ladies and gentlemen, that was yesterday afternoon around 1700. It is now the next morning and it is almost 0800. We checked in the first time 16 hours ago and we are still here. What could possibly be the hold up that would take paperwork 16 freaking hours???? I am a little frustrated at this point.

And on top of that, they have us pre-planned on a load picking up in Laredo tonight after we deliver this one that will deliver in Delano,CA Monday morning. It is looking like we are going to be late on that one, as far as delivering it. We can pick it up 24/7, but unless I get moving really soon, we aren't going to make the delivery time. I still have to go about 600 miles to Laredo today.

No comments: