Saturday, June 13, 2009

Memphis,TN

Boy, this week I am feeling like a FedEx driver! I am starting to think I should get their pay and the benefits that they get since that is all we have hauled this week!

When J got us into Compton,CA we had our next load assignment. We knew that we were going to be picking up at the same FedEx Facility there in Compton that we were delivering to. After dropping our loaded trailer, J went and checked in and about 2 hours later, they were letting us know that our load was ready. When he headed out, he got to Barstow,CA where he woke me up and I took over. From that point, we had about 25 hours to get about 1685 miles. Piece of cake. LOL

I managed to get about 560 miles and made it to Jamestown,NM and then J took over and did an amazing job of getting us to Oklahoma City,OK which is around 625 miles. That left me with just under 500 miles to get us into Memphis. I managed to roll into Memphis around 1300 making me 3 hours early. I was worried about finding my way to this place. Mainly because it is on the Airport, and I detest getting in and out of airports. But this one was painless.

After I dropped the loaded trailer, I ran down to the lot where they keep the empties at. I grabbed the only empty that was there, did my inspection on it and was just pulling out of the parking space when we got our next load assignment. Wouldn't you know it? I am once again picking up at the same place we just dropped at. That makes things really easy. So I backed the trailer into the spot I just pulled it out of and unhooked. It didn't make any sense to take it out when they would just have me bring it right back!

We were to be here at 1700 so we had a few hours to kill. We headed up to the Petro to grab a shower, lunch and get the truck washed. From there we headed back to the FedEx facility to check in. When we were checking in, we found out that there was another truck that had checked in to pick up our load. Uh Oh. Apparently there is a communication problem. We pulled up next to them and talked a few minutes. We were assigned this load at 1330 and they got it around 1600. Hmmm So we both get on the phone and call our FM's to find out what the deal is. It turns out that this is a daily run from Memphis to Denver and the load number is the same. We were assigned the load for today and they were assigned the load for tomorrow. Luckily we caught them in time because they had already gotten the bills and were getting ready to leave. We were going to stop and get fuel, which we forgot to do when we were at the Petro, and it is a good thing we didn't or they would have been gone with our load! But they were nice about is and understood that they were assigned the one for tomorrow.

By the time we got all that straightened out, they told us we were ready to go so we just hooked up and are on the road. We should be there by 1600 hours tomorrow afternoon! And if we are lucky, we will get another FedEx load out of there. I am liking these FedEx runs! Fairly light loads and we don't use the reefer since they are dry loads. That saves us money, and I like that!

No comments: