Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dania Beach,FL

Although I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, I got good non-moving sleep. After J took over driving, I stayed up with him until we got to our first stop in Miami. We knew that we had our last drop today at noon, so I knew that I would be able to sleep in.

We found our first drop, Florida Mushrooms, fairly easy. It was in an older part of Miami with some small streets, but not as bad as the last place we delivered to in this particular area. We also arrived around 2100 which meant traffic on the side streets was pretty light. Once we got checked in, we were told that we could spend the night there in their lot. That helped us out tremendously since there is practically no where in the whole Miami metro area to park a semi. While we were getting unloaded, I headed to bed.

Even though we didn't have an appointment to deliver until noon today, I still went ahead and got up at 0430 this morning. After using the facilities and brushing my teeth, I went ahead and headed up to our last stop at Publix. I figured that if I left early I would beat the traffic and I also thought that I may get lucky and get unloaded earlier than my actual appointment time. I arrived at around 0530 (0630 local) and was rewarded with a dock about 30 minutes after I arrived. Yes!

It did take a while to actually get unloaded, but a few hours later, I was unloaded and had sent my depart message. I pulled back around to the staging area to wait for our next dispatch since I didn't have anywhere else to go and wait that was close. About an hour later, we got our next load. It doesn't pick up until tomorrow, but it pays good. We could have left today with a Tropicana load but it would have paid crap and we would have had to deadhead 250 miles. Instead, we now have a floral load that picks up tomorrow here in Miami with a second pick up in Pierson,FL. Then we will have a final delivery out in California. Not sure how many stops we will have. We will find out the stops once we get to Pierson.

Knowing that we had a night to kill, we went ahead and headed to Prime Floral and dropped our trailer. It makes it easier for us to bobtail around. I plugged Motel 6 into our trusty Maggie (GPS) and found one up here in Dania Beach. Of course there were places closer, but Motel 6 is one of the few that accepts pets and is affordable. AND, as a bonus, we are less than a mile or so from the beach. :) I am hoping that either tonight or in the morning we can go down to the beach. It would be a nice relaxing walk and I know Smokey would love to play in the water.

So that is what we are up to. Just going to hang out tonight and then get back to work in the morning!

1 comment:

june in florida said...

I was on the turnpike yesterday, knowing you were in Florida i was wondering if you were one of the many trucks i saw.Pierson is in a beautiful area i hope get a chance to see more of it some time. I am in the Fort Pierce area.