Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Jacksonville,FL

Another non eventful day in trucking land has passed! After finally getting our load picked up yesterday in Avondale,PA we made it down to the Petro in Elkton,MD to get scaled and grab a bite to eat. From there I headed to bed and J headed south.

After them cancelling the first load we were dispatched on yesterday after being unloaded, we picked up this load of mushrooms bound for Miami,FL. It was originally just one stop but while enroute to the shipper, they added a second stop for tomorrow at noon up in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of our first stop in Miami. Right now we have about 270 miles to go and 6 hours to get there.

It has been raining for the last hour or so. When we stopped at the TA to switch out and send in our trip sheets, I saw the radar on television at the fuel desk. It had lots of reds and yellows on it. Yuck!

Since we have been driving, we have gotten to see all sorts of wildlife. Deer, elk, bears, badgers, bunny rabbits, skunks, opossums, and hawks. The few times that we have been through Florida, I have been wanting to see an alligator. I mean, we have driven through Alligator Alley several times and have not once seen an alligator. But I saw one today! I was so excited! Too bad the one I saw was on the side of the road waiting for the road crew to remove his poor dead body from the shoulder. :( But to make up for it, a few miles down the road, I did see a rather large turtle that was just crossing the last few feet of the highway. For a turtle, he was moving. I checked in my mirror as I went past and saw that he made it to the shoulder safely. It made me smile. At least one little creature was safe for the day!

No comments: