Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Syracuse,NY

Rain Rain Go Away Come Again Some Other Day!!!! That has been my mantra the last few days. When we arrived in California last Saturday evening, it was raining. It was raining when we picked up our load on Sunday evening after dropping the one we had on Saturday evening. Then we had snow on Monday through Arizona. I saw the sun for a few hours Sunday afternoon, once I made it east of Flagstaff, but by the time I hit the New Mexico border and J started driving, it was cloudy and there were snow flurries again. When J took over last night in Rolla,MO it started raining on him after I went to bed. That would be somewhere around St Louis or maybe right after he crossed into Illinois. When he woke me up in Columbus,OH this morning, it was yet again raining. And now here I am in Syracuse,NY at the end of my shift, and it is STILL raining. I love the rain. When I am at home, cuddled up with a blanket and a good book and sitting in front of a fire. But not when I drive completely across the USA and it hovers above me!

These storms are pretty bad that are moving across the US. I talke to some friends of ours who drive for Schneider this afternoon. They were in Tennessee and getting pounded by rain and wind. They said they had been dealing with it since they left the Dallas/Ft Worth area last night. Another friend of ours, who works for Richardson PD, has his fence blown down from the storms. He lives over in Garland,TX and if you have been watching the news, Garland was making national news from the storm damage along with the tornado or two that touched down in Oklahoma City and the surrounding area. Actually I think it was just one tornado. Regardless, it has been some nasty weather.

Right now we are about 434 miles from our delivery up in Lewiston,ME. I am thinking that J will get us to the service plaza in Kennebunk,ME tonight. From there, it should be a short drive for me to the receivers in the morning. First though, after J takes off driving here in a few, we are making a stop at x28 on I-90 here in NY at the TA. Time for a shower and a meal that comes on a plate and not out of a wrapper.

I also think that once we get finished with this load, that we are going to have to give this truck a good cleaning. Smokey likes the mud and water puddles a little too much. And there is only so much that I can do to get him cleaned off before he jumps up in the truck after I walk him. A cleaning is definitely in order.

As usual, I am not sure where we will be headed tomorrow. Both times we have delivered in Maine, they have sent us back south to pick up our next load. I am just hoping that this storm passes or something before I have to drive back south in it tomorrow. Anyway, time for me to chill out for a while before we stop up at the TA. I am off to be lazy!

2 comments:

lexmark said...

Really enjoy reading your blog. I look for updates almost everyday.

How do you guys like pulling reefers? Are the grocery warehouses as bad as everyone says? There is a reefer outfit near me that takes newbies so I am doing as much research as I can.

Thanks

T-Net said...

I don't think they are that bad. As long as you go in knowing that you may be there a couple of hours and expect it, then you are good. You just have to take it in stride. Sometimes the lumper fees are outrageous but the company will usually pay via a comchek. You just have to fill the check out. Now the produce markets are a different story. They are usually in the oldest part of town with the tiniest roads. But they aren't too bad AFTER your first time. LOL then you know what to expect.