Monday, April 27, 2009

Effingham,IL

Yesterday I had to deal with snow in Wyoming, and today I had to deal with rain all the way across Kansas, Missouri and into Illinois. We are almost across Illinois now, and I am done driving, but it is still raining for J. Ugh! Isn't is supposed to be spring and sunny outside??

J did great driving last night and got me from Laramie,WY all the way to Salina,KS. We dropped down to I-70 in Laramie and had better roads, but more rain. But we saved on tolls, so that is worth it. When he woke me up this morning, he did so with a cheery smile informing me he had driven me all the way to the beginning of the storm. Isn't he the sweetest?? LOL

I have had a heck of a time today with the placards on the trailer. With all of this rain I lost the two on the front. I used the last two that we had so now we don't have any spares. J even lost one last night I think. When we switched in Effingham, that Pilot didn't have any so we are going to stop at the next truck stop we come across and see if they have any. Once it stopped raining for just a few minutes earlier today, I pulled in to a Petro and dried the area off around the palcards and put some clear packing tape on them to hold them down. It is helping some, but with all this rain, I am sure we will lose more so we have to find a place to buy some more at. We have corrosive and flammable which should be fairly common placards. We will have to see what we can find.

We were able to reschedule our appointment for 0900 local time tomorrow so we will have to be there by 0800 our time. They had us routed all the way across I-70 through PA to I-81 but I double checked and found the tunnel that we need to avoid and it is on that stretch of I-70. Instead we will take I-79 south just outside of Pittsburgh,PA and then hit I-68 across Maryland and hook up into I-81. More mountains that way, but we will avoid the tunnel. I wish I would have thought about that route last time when I ended up having to take US30 around the tunnel! What a nightmare that road was!

Anyway, I am probably going to hit the sack pretty early tonight and try to get into a good deep sleep before he hits those mountains. I never sleep ood going through there, or any mountains for that matter, and I want a good nights sleep before I have to finish up the last bit of mountain driving in the morning to deliver. Everyone have a great night!

2 comments:

Wolfie said...

We had over 3" of rain here in Wisconsin this past weekend, it just would not stop.
Why do you need to avoid tunnels, is it because of the Hazmat load?

T-Net said...

Hasn't this rain been crazy??? Yes, the reason we were avoiding the tunnels is because of the hazmat. We had corrosive and flammable which aren't allowed in the tunnels. Especially in the quantity we were hauling.