Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lubbock,TX

It seems like we were just here. And actually we were right at two weeks ago. Last time we were here is when we blew the turbo on the truck and it was in the shop up in Amarillo. This time we were down here again for a much more sad reason.

On our way to deliver up in MA, I found out that my Aunt had died. Actually she was my second cousin, but her and he husband are my parents age (my Dad's actual cousin is her husband) but I always thought of them as my Aunt and Uncle. She has been in poor health the last few years but I don't think anyone expected her to pass away. It definitely happened suddenly. She passed out at her house after a doctors appointment and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. This I believe was on a Wednesday afternoon. And she passed away on Saturday. She was one of my favorite people and I tried to get by to see her when we were in town.

When we found out, we got a load back this direction so we could make the funeral. I got to see her son, my cousin Jon, and his family, which was really nice. Jon and his brother and my brother and I all grew up together. We had move to Colorado when I was 11, but they would come up and spend summer vacation in Colorado. We had so much fun as kids out in the mountains. But of course as you grow up you drift apart because you start your own families. We decided that we are not going to keep meeting every 10 years at someones funeral. So we have decided to start a Cousin's Reunion so we can all get together more often. Who knows when we will get this started, but I am hoping for sure by next summer. Times like this makes you realize that you only have one family, and one extended family, and you really have to make the most of the time that you have.

We arrived in Lubbock EARLY Monday morning and the funeral was that afternoon. Today is Tuesday and we are trying to get laundry done and get ready to head out. Our FM called and he has a load for us in the morning. We are going to repower a load from a solo up in Amarillo and deliver to Compton,CA on Thursday morning. That will set us up good being on the west coast so we should have something that will carry us over the weekend. And hopefully pay decent.

We are still having problems with our internet connection, but hopefully we will be able to find a Verizon store somewhere so we can get a new card. Until then, I will post as often as I can get this card to work. And remember, family is so important. Don't put off calling someone in your family. You never know when you may lose them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
I'm a reporter working on a story about truck stop electrification for the International Herald Tribune, the "New York Times global edition." (IHT is owned by NYT.) I would like to get the perspective of a trucker and found your blog online. Would you be willing to talk with me on the phone for about 10 minutes? My deadline is coming up, so could we talk this week? My phone number is 415.831.4034.

Unknown said...

Oops, forgot to leave my email: erica@2141.net.

T-Net said...

Check your e-mail Erica. Thanks!