Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Atlanta,GA

We FINALLY made it out of the rain! Monday evening J took over and got us to some small town in Maryland. I can't even remember the name of it off the top of my head. From there, I had a short 156 miles to go to deliver our hazmat load. Considering that I was on I-68 going through Maryland and the mountains in that area, I made decent time. I got there about an hour before our appointment.

I knew we had been there before because of the address, but I couldn't visualize the place. As soon as I turned off of the highway the road started looking familiar I remembered the place. It is a tiny warehouse and you have to blindside back to get to the dock. J was asleep and I was planning on doing my best without having to wake him up. I actually lucked out and did a pretty darn good blindside with only getting out once to look and two pull-ups. I was pretty proud of myself since it was a fairly tight spot.

They had me unloaded within 45 minutes and from there I headed down to the Flying J which was about 5 miles up I-81. After getting backed into a spot, I figured I better do our paperwork since it was due that afternoon. We definitely want to get paid. :) I managed to get that done and right at two hours after I got parked, our computer beeped with our next load.

From there I had to head about 280 miles over to Rocky Mount,NC to pick up a load at Hospira going to Santa Fe Springs,CA. It wasn't supposed to be ready until 2100 hours but I went ahead and headed that direction. I stopped in Ruther Glen,VA at a Petro so we could grab a shower, lunch and get the trailer washed out. After we got that taken care of, J took of and drove us the last 160 miles or to to get this load picked up.

We knew this was going to be a drop and hook from having been there before, and this time was no exception. They guard told us to drop our emty trailer and then go check in with shipping. Sure enough, our trailer was loaded and ready to go, but we ended up waiting for about an hour for the paperwork. With no scale close by, we headed south on I-81 from x145 to x106 where there was a TA that we could scale at. Just our luck the load was heavy for the California laws. By this time, it was about 2230 hours and we had no choice but to go back and have them re-work the load.

The trailer was in the 6th hole and for California, it can't be any further back than that. We were over by 600 lbs on the trailer tandems. We could have got it legal by moving the tandems to the 7th or 8th hole, but then it wouldn't be legal in California. Since we are taking this load to Dallas and then handing it off to another team, we wanted to make sure it was right. So as I headed off to bed, J turned around and headed back to have them rework it.

About four hours later, J is back at the TA again re-weighing and we are all legal. All they did was remove one pallet and just initial the change on the paperwork. So I am not sure why it took them almost 3 hours to get that done. Anyway, after J gets all that done, he lets me sleep till 0400 then I am up and on the road by 0500 this morning.

I could only legally work until 1300 hrs today because I only had 8 hours available. I managed to get fuel mileage just over 7.0 running top speed so I managed to make it to Atlanta,GA where we currently are. J can't drive until 1600 today so we are just chilling at the moment but we are about to take off. We only have about 770 miles to go into Dallas, so we should be there in the morning!

No comments: