Monday, March 31, 2008

Prime Day One

What an early start after such a long day yesterday on the bus. Got up this morning at 0545 and got ready and headed down to the cafe. Had a really good BLT and J had his normal eggs, bacon, potatoes and gravy. Decent breakfast.

From there we headed into orientation. OMG! So much freaking paperwork. UHGGGG!!! I really need to get a stamp with my name, SSN,DOB and a slot to put in the current date. I had writers cramp after only about 15 minutes. Filled out the long form application, got out meal tickets, got fingerprinted, then headed over for our drug screen/medical and our "interview" which consisted of going over our application to make sure we hadn't left anything out and that they didn't have any other questions. I got in and got my interview done first because I couldn't pee. I know that sounds funny, but after being sick this weekend, I was still dehydrated and I was drinking cup after cup of coke and tea and still couldn't hardly go to the bathroom. Finally went in for the medical and drug screen and was able to give them exactly 1/2 the cup of urine. After all that drinking, that was all I could produce! But it was enough and we got that finished.

Because there are so many of us in this class there were two "Maintenance" classes set up for this afternoon. We, unfortunately, made the late class at 1600 hrs which didn't put us back to the hotel until around 2000 hrs. The "maintenance" class, which is WAY TO LONG for experienced drivers, lasted about 3.5 hours. It would have been great for someone just starting out, but the one video is of how to do a pre-trip and it takes 1 hour and 47 minutes and it a little redundant for experienced drivers. The one good thing on there is how to operate a reefer if that is something you are new to, but there is another class on reefer operation on Wednesday that will cover that more in depth.

After class we at at the Millineum Building. VERY nice building and the food was really good. Super nice facility and I can't wait to see more of it. They told us we could go to Leasing and see if they had any trucks available for us to look at but the didn't so we will have to wait. I do have to say that the trucks look wierd without the side fairings. I'm not used to seeing the fuel tanks and having all that open space between them and the back of the truck. I can't imagine that is good for fuel mileage. Probably getting a side box would help with that. Or maybe it would make it worse? I don't have any idea.

That is it for today. It is after 2100 and we have to be up at 0545 again. Not sure what is on the agenda tomorrow and I am too damn tired to get up and look. I'll let you know tomorrow evening how it's going. Tonight I am going to dream about what color truck I want......

No comments: