Saturday, March 15, 2008

Someone broke into our house...

And I am not happy about it. But first, to catch you up. We got a load from the Pilot we were at. Headed north 117 miles to Desoto,TX where we picked up at Walmart Dist Center and delivered to another Walmart DC in Hopkinsville,KY. From there they sent us to Henderson,KY to pick up a load of semi rear ends from Dana Corp and we took them to Laredo,TX. Luckily, we got a load out of Laredo and left this morning and dropped it as a relay at the Dallas OC. It was a load of buckets for John Deere tractors that has a final destination of Debuque,IA. We got it dropped and started clearing out the truck. Then we realized that there is no way we were going to get all of our crap in the suburban so we decided to head home and get the rest of the stuff out there and then take the truck in tomorrow morning.

Here is where it gets interesting. J heads to pick up Bandit and I head home in the truck. Our back door doesn't shut all the way sometimes so we leave a cinderblock against it. I move the cinderblock and walk into the laundry room and notice water on the floor. Great! A freaking water leak. As I continue to walk into the house I realize that some boxes are knocked over and the leak went into the den where the carpet is soaked and the sub floor is soaked. UGH. Then I notice a footprint on the rug that isn't mine. See, it is actually a piec3e of remnant carpet. Light blue. So because the bottom is all soaked, when you step on it, it turns dark blue from the water soaking up through the bottom. So I see the footprint and think, well hell, it looks like someone has been in here. I opened the bedroom door which is right off the den and sure enough someone had went through everything. Stuff pulled out from under the bed, the closets, everything. At this point, I realize we have definitely been broken into and leave the bedroom to check the rest of the house. TV is still there, computer and printer is still there, bedrooms are clear. I figured it was kids, so I check the fridge and all the alcohol is still there. What kids would toss a house and leave the alcohol? Anyway, don't find anyone in the house so the only place left to check is to check the master bath. Before I get there I can smell it. Shit. Actual shit is what I smelled. Hmmm Open the door and there is dog shit all over the floor, chewed up and torn up toilet paper EVERYWHERE, all the cabinet doors are open and in the bottom linen cabinet on the top shelf is a PUPPY! Yes, you heard me correctly. A puppy. This poor thing is hungry, I can see his little ribs. So I get him some food and call J to let him know what has happened. Of course, J, being the smart one, tells me to get my ass out of the house because I could have interrupted them. I really should know better considering the years I spend in LE but I really didn't think it just happened. Or that anyone would still be in the house. I mean, we have been gone for over three weeks. What are the chances that I would interrupt someone the moment I get back home? And the cinderblock was pushed up against the door from the outside and the front door was dead bolted from inside. So whomever was there had already been gone a while I think. Also, some of the dog shit in the bathroom was already dried. So it had been there for a while. I just don't understand why they left a dog. And the poor thing shut himself in the bathroom and couldn't get out to get any food so he was starving. Unless they shut him in there and left him with no food, but due to some other stuff being torn up, I really think that he shut himself in there.

I called the Sheriff's department (since we are in the county) and a deputy came out and made a report. Took some stuff that they had obviously handled. We have went through and noticed some other things missing. Two of my jewelry boxes, some tools of J's, etc. Luckily the jewelry that I have is all cheap stuff with the excepton of my wedding rings (original one and 10 year anniversary one) and I wear both of those. I am more mad about the actual jewelry boxes that are missing. One was a christmas present and the other was a gift from a friend when I was in her wedding. It had my initials engraved on it. Maybe they can get some prints off some stuff but I'm not holding my breath. We are going to check the pawn shops also to see if they pawned the stuff.

So that is what our day was like. I took a few pictures of the puppy they left behind and I will post them next.

1 comment:

orangetrucker said...

Joe and tracy,

So Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope they catch those bastrds, but they won't. Iam thinking about you, It will get better.
Mark