Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nogales,AZ

Last night J got us to Winslow as we were on our way to Phoenix,AZ to drop off this hazmat load. He got me up and I took off at 04k30 with 207 miles to go. I made it in with plenty of time to spare. The place was not a large place and there were quite a few of their box trucks getting loaded for the day to make their local deliveries. As soon as they headed out for their day I was able to get the truck turned around and backed up to a doc. About an hour and a half later I was unloaded and ready for our next load. I sent our depart and didn't get anything right away so I took off and headed to the Pilot on the other side of town. I figured if I didn't get a load by the time I got there that I would head in and grab a shower. Of course as soon as I get there and am putting Smokey's harness on to take him outside, the qualcomm beeps. I go ahead and take hime out and come back to check messages. They have us heading to Nogales,AZ to pick up a load of tomatoes going to Romulus,MI. The name of that town makes me think of Star Trek. Anyway, I go ahead and fuel up there and then go next door to Danny's to get the truck and trailer washed. By this time it is 1400 and we are off. It is about 180 miles to the shipper. I stop at a rest area about 50 miles out and J wakes up and decided to take over since it was already 1500. Off we go again. As we are coming into Nogales we get a message from dispatch. There is another team already at the shippers and their load hasn't made it across the border so they gave them our load. Not a big deal since the message also says that if their load, that we are now picking up, doesn't make it across the border tonight from Mexico, that they would give us $450 in layover pay. Sweet. So we head on in to the shipper to find out the load is NOT there and they are closing shortly so it will be in the morning. J talks the guy into letting us drop the trailer there since it is a secure facility and we are off. First stop is Soto's Outback for some great mexican food. Next stop is Motel 6. Arizona is 2 hours behind us since they don't do daylight savings time. And the shipper doesn't open until 1000 hrs in the morning and that is 1200 our time. Since we checked in at around 1900 we figured it was worth it to get a room since we have such a long layover. It is ok to be in the truck that long when it is moving, but if we are stopped, Smokey gets to where he wants out. So that is what we did today and now we are just chilling in the hotel watching a little of the boob tube. I got the pictures downloaded so I am going to put them in another post!

No comments: