Thursday, August 7, 2008

Salinas,CA

You know when you have one of those days when you want to sleep in, but you can't. So you get up and get going only to find out later on that you could have slept in? This is one of those days. Yesterday morning I woke up and drove us to our drop location in McCarran,NV. Dropped at Walmart. Got to the gate on time, but by the time we got to the receiving window, after dropping our trailer in a door and parking like they told us to, they marked us as being 3 minutes late. WTF? So we lost our appointment time and had to be worked in. Can you believe that shit? All because of 3 minutes? Thoroughly pissed me off. I had gone to the bathroom and J told me. He then went to the bathroom and I proceeded to tell the lady that was crap only to have J come out of the bathroom and tell me he had already told them what he thought of that. I felt bad for the poor lady checking us in. I wouldn't have said anything if I had known that J had already done it.

So three hours later we are unloaded and send our departure. Get the next load right away. Drive a little over 300 miles to pick up a load of produce in Salinas,CA going to Gordonsville,VA. There is no set appointment time and they don't open until 0800. There is not much truck parking between the two places so we decide to spend the night at the Petro in Sparks,NV and I will get up and drive us in. This morning 0400 rolls around and I get my lazy rear out of bed, get fuel and head out around 0500. I make it in around 1200, counting the time I stopped to get the trailer washed out. So it is only 1000 hrs CA time. Cool. Pull up and there is 1 truck in the dock and only 2 trucks waiting. Sweet. They have 10 docks so I am fully expecting to get right in, get loaded and take off. No such luck. I go check in and here is where my luck changes. This is the moment when I knew I could have slept in. We are picking up a Walmart load. Walmart insists on having the current days produce loaded, not what was left over from the day before. That means only half of my load is here. The other part, the cauliflower, or however you spell it, isn't in and he said that is usually the last thing they get in during the day, usually around 1600 hrs (4pm). THEN, they can't load it until it is properly cooled to the right temp and he said that takes 4 hours for that particular produce. This means I am looking at getting loaded at 2000 hrs (8pm) at the earliest. Unless I am lucky and they get it in earlier than usual. So, this is when I knew that I could have slept in. After the Walmart fiasco in McCarran yesterday, and being on the west coast and the time difference, I didn't get to bed till around 2200 my time because it was still freaking light outside and I didn't realize exactly how late it was. My fault of course, but that means that I only got about 6 hours of sleep. AND I had to drive down Donner, 40 freaking miles of downgrades, in the dark. It wasn't that bad, and I was empty, but I prefer doing passes during the day.

So now here I sit for the next 8-10 hours or so killing time. Figured I would catch up my blog, watch a movie or two, maybe reserve us a rental car for when we are in Chicago the end of the month and then who knows what else I will do. I am thinking a nap, but if I do that, then I won't sleep till late again tonight. Not that it really matters because we have plenty of time on this load. At the moment I am going to go walk Smokey because he is whining at me. That is my signal that it is time to go out!

3 comments:

Buckshot said...

Hey Tnet,

My wife and I are thinking about going with Schneider this fall. I have been following you and J's adventures for some time now. Do you have any free time when you are in Chicago later this month? We would love to get together for dinner with the 2 of you if you have the time and are so inclined. Let me know here, as you are on my bookmarks and I check out the blog every day. Thanks. Jim aka Buckshot

T-Net said...

I think we can probably do that. I will get with you on what day works best. Probably Sunday evening. I hope we can work it out. It would be great to meet yall!

Buckshot said...

Sounds good to me. You should have my e-mail address. Let me know where and I will send a #. Looking forward to meeting you and J. Jim aka Buckshot