Sunday, December 14, 2008

Amarillo,TX

HOLY MOLY is is windy outside today! This morning I woke up at the OK/AR border on I-40 and that is where my day began. J told me is had been windy all night and there was no change once I started driving. I was all over the road today. People probably thought I was drunk. Well, except that every other 18-wheeler out on the road was driving the same way. Someone once told me they figured we didn't get blown around as much as cars since we were so big and heavy. The exact opposite is true. A truck this big has so much more area for the wind to hit. We are roughly 75 feet long and over 13 feet tall. We are a rolling flat billboard and when the wind hits it, POOF! Imagine two people holding a sheet at both ends and holding it vertically in front of a fan. See how the fan hits it and pushes it out. That is a semi an the effect the wind has on it. It blows you all around. I a litterally worn out after holding on to the steering wheel for dear life all day.

Today I only made it 428 miles and called it a day here in Amarillo. I had the time to get the 500 I wanted, but I was just so freaking tired. I pulled into the Petro here in Amarillo at about 1330 and hit the sack until 1500 which is when I had the alarm set to wake J up. I also have a headache that I can't get rid of but the nap helped. We got up and went inside to eat and let me tell you, it was cold outside! I had stopped at the rest area on I-40 between Amarillo and the OK state line to take Smokey out. It showed it was 69 degrees outside and I didn't even have a jacket on. The wind had been coming straight out of the south, When I got back in the truck and drove the last 60 miles into Amarillo it changed and started coming out of the north. A cold front definitely blew through. The temperature guage is now showing 27. And yes, I typed that right, 27. It is cold ladies and gentlemen!

Anyway, we grabbed something to eat, took Smokey for a walk and then hit the road again. We have just a little over 1100 miles to go. I figure we will be there tomorrow afternoon and them hopefully get a load tomorrow night or on Tuesday morning to get us back for Christmas. We shall see....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like we in each others' neighborhoods Sunday night. We drove west on I40 from Muskogee to Shawnee and you were on I40 at the AR/OK border. Next time flash us...