Friday, December 5, 2008

Tulsa,OK

After a good nights sleep on Wednesday night, we got up and headed back to the Freightliner shop to pick up the trailer and head to our pick up there in Louisville,KY. I got there a little early and there were already 2 Prime trucks there. I go in to check-in and they ask me if my pickup number ended in 01. Sure enough it did and I was the Prime truck they were waiting on. The two other trucks that were there had appointments, but like us yesterday, they told them that they couldn't load them until the next morning because they were running behind. I explained to the two drivers that it also happened to me the day before and I had to wait overnight for the load I was there to pick-up. I got backed into a dock with no problems and got loaded fairly quickly. I was out of there by about 1000 I think and it was an 0830 appt, so not too bad.
L
While I was getting loaded I was looking for a place to scale but the only one I could find was about 20 miles the opposite direction. When I picked up the paperwork it showed I was only hauling 29,919 so I figured I would head out the direction I needed to go and stop at the first scale that direction. I checked the map and it didn't show any DOT scales so I was safe. I stopped at a Pilot in Levenworth,IN and sure enough I was good on weight. Total was just a little over 69,000. Grabbed some lunch and a new GPS while we were there. Maggie, our Magellan, is freaking out on us. I think being on continuously for close to two years is taking it's toll on her. They only had Garmin's so we got one and figured we would try it. Some things we like and others we don't. But I suppose it is just because we were used to Maggie. We will get the hang of it though. And she has been appropriately named Gabs. :)

I stopped right outside of St Louis and that is where J took over driving. When I was double checking our appointment time at our destination I found something I liked. Because they had to reschedule our pick-up, they also had to reschedule the delivery. I guess all of the delivery appointment times were take so we ended up with an extra day, a whole 27 hours extra on this load. Sweet! We needed to get through Springfield to get some stuff taken care of so J just drove there and parked for the night. We got up this morning and hit the Friday meetings they have, then grabbed a shower, talked to our FM, picked up my TWIC card (J's isn't in yet), got our 08 tax stuff from our accountant, got the truck washed and gave Smokey a bath. Finally around 1430 we were ready and hit the road.

I drove a little later than usual, until around 1830, so that J could get in a nap since we were both up at 0700 this morning. When I stopped just west of Tulsa we only have about 1400 miles till destination which is Fullerton,CA. We will make it into Barstow,CA tomorrow night and then I will drive the rest of the way in on Sunday. Our appointment time is at 11oo which is at 1300 our time, so we will get to sleep in!

I am hoping that we will be able to get a load out on Sunday that will deliver before payroll cutoff on Tuesday, but I kinda doubt it. We will just wait and see what happens.

3 comments:

Snuffy said...

Ugh, you just bought a Garmin? I have one and it's very helpful but check out what ALK just put out!
http://www.alk.com/BRANDCENTER/images/sellsheets/PCMILER/sellsheet-nav.pdf
This uses PCMiler software and is made for big trucks. I hear you can find them in Loves and Petro for $299. I'd buy one but I decided to have Santa get it for me since he's rich!

Snuffy said...

At the Petro:

http://www.petrotruckstops.com/includes/bargain_buy_detail.inc.sstg?id=609

If you do decide to buy it please let us know how it works out. Reviews I've heard from other truckers thus far have been very good.

Unknown said...

Funny, we named our GPS too. We have a Garmin and we call her Dot. We'll have to check out what Kip said about the ALK.