Monday, December 8, 2008

Yuma,AZ

We had a nice uneventful drive into Fullerton,CA. We stopped in Holbrook and switche drivers on Saturday afernoon and drove up the road just a bit into Winslow and grabbed a bite to eat. I am not sure of the exit there, but there is a Flying J on the south side of the interstate. If you go to the north side there is a little mexican food restaurant that you will miss if you aren't looking for it. It is on the northwest corner by the RV park. Across the street on the northeast corner there is a big empty lot that is for truck parking. If you get by that way and like mexican food, you should try this little place. It was really good. And we were the only truck parked in that huge lot.

Still having some time on our hands J got us into Barstow around 0200 (Saturday night/Sunday morning our time)where we called it a night. We didn't deliver until 1130 Sunday morning local so we got some good non moving sleep. We managed to get ourselves out of bed around 0800 our time and headed in to grab a shower and breakfast. We finally headed out around 1030 our time (0830 local) to make the short 100 mile drive in to Kraft. I like delivering on a Sunday morning in the LA area. Traffic is not bad at all. We made a short pit stop at the TA in Ontario for me to go to the restroom and then made it to Kraft about 45 minutes early. They let me in a door right away as I was the only truck they were expecting that morning. I got unloaded quickly and sent my depart before I pulled away from the dock in the hopes that I would have my next load assignment before I left. Didn't hear anything back for a few so I sent a message asking if I had something coming or if I needed to find a place to park. They told me to head to Yuma,AZ and they would load me out of there, so off I go!

Another team that we know was currently sitting in Yuma waiting on their appointment so we were hoping that we would make it there before there appointment time. Luckily we made it about 1830 local and their appointment wasn't until 2000 local. We met up at the Walmart there and got to have dinner with them and visit for a while. It is always nice to catch up with friends because out on the road, you may talk on the phone to them once in a while, but you may go months without crossing paths. I think the last time we saw them was some time in August. they told us to follow them back to Dole and they would show us where an empty lot was across the street so we could park there overnight. See, Prime told us to head to Yuma to get a load, but we still didn't have a load yet and they told us it would be sometime Monday, so we were in need of a place to park. And there is only one truckstop here and there was NO place to park at all. We followed them back and when they turned right they told us to turn left. Nope, not the right place. So we have to go back down the forad a few miles to find a place to turn around. As we are headed back they said they called and said they gate guard said we could park on a lot by the gate so we headed back and went in the main entrance and proceeded to where the guard pointed us to. I had put in a full day at this point so J and I quickly called it a night and headed to bed.

Hoping we may get a load this morning, I set my alarm for 0700. I got up and got dressed and then got J up. Our first order of business was a bathroom so we headed up to the Love's. Took care of business and found that some of the trucks had cleared out so we had some open spots to choose from. I backed into a spot and figured we would wait here since we have a bathroom! It is not 1030 and we still don't have a load. I sent a message to our FM making sure he knew that weekend dispatch sent us to Yuma. He said he knew and that freight was slow but he is hoping he can get us something out of here today. Sheesh! I hope he can too! I am looking around and there are probably at least 10 Prime trucks parked here. I talked to the Prime parked right next to me and they were told the same thing. They don't have a load yet either but they were told to head down here. Looks like a lot of people waiting. I guess we will just have to play the waiting game then....

3 comments:

Heffard said...

What is the longest you have had to wait for a load? How does Prime compare with Schneider on getting you new loads?

Great blog! Keep up the good work.
Stay safe!!!

Unknown said...

Hey guys, we've got slow freight too. Stuck in Sealy, TX.

Enjoy your updates.

blogger said...

truckers may want to check out online cash for their current needs