Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Van Horn,TX

Boy, yesterday was a long day! Around 1100 we got a load assignment to pick up at 1300 there at Dole. The only good thing about it was that J didn't drive on Monday so he was able to pick up the load with a complete 70 hours. And since I didn't drive on my shift yesterday, I was able to get a restart also. So we are both starting this load with a fresh set of 70 hours to burn through. That should take us through the 18th when we are due home for Christmas.

Around 1230 local time yesterday J heads over to Dole and gets checked in. They tell him he will be loading around back. Okay... Head out the front gate and go find the back gate. Pull in, get scaled and they tell us our load isn't ready and to pull over by the stack of pallets and wait. Since we had a 1300 appointment we figured it would be a fairly short wait and they were just getting the rest of the product ready. They finally call us up to a dock at 1700 hrs. We get done, go scale to pick up the paperwork and they tell us to come back in that they need to put 2 more pallets on. Sheesh. Ok, flip around, go back in, get two more pallets. FINALLY make it out to the gate and to the Love's to scale and it is almost 2100 hrs. That is crazy! And for a 1300 hrs appointment. J heads out and makes it to Tucson,AZ where he stops for the night.

I get up this morning and head out around 0430. I only made it about 20 miles down the roadf before it started raining. Then I hit Lordsburg,NM where it started snowing. Then it started raining again. And finally as I pull into Van Horn,TX to switch drivers, it is snowing on me again! This is south Texas people! What the hell is with the snow?!?!? We go inside and take a shower and grab something to eat and when we come back out, the snow is actually stickin. We have ice on our mirrors and or front windows are only clear where the wipers are working, but even the wipers are covered with snow. I just don't know what to make of this. I realize this is winter, and I expect the snow in the midwest or up north, but not down here in south Texas and south New Mexico where it is like 8 miles from the Mexico Border. Mexico is supposed to be sunny!

Ok, enough of my rant about the snow. We are only about 6 miles from the I-10 and I-20 split and we will be taking I-20. According to the weather that should be a fairly clear route and the majority of the snow and rain is on I-10. Hopefully we will push out of this in the next hour or so. I know I have a heck of a time sleeping when the weather is bad. That goes back to my control issues. :) I know J is about ready to tie me up and stick me in a gunny sack and put me in the trailer where he doesn't have to deal with my "issues", but he won't. For some odd reason, he loves me and puts up with me.

No comments: