Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ontario,CA

Heading out from Amarillo, J got us to Holbrook,AZ where I took over. I was cruising along listening to Fox News on Sirius when I heard them say that there was snow in SoCal and that I-15 was shut down both directions into LA. WTF?? I decided to make a stop in Ludlow about 50 miles east of Barstow on I-40 to check the weather and the state website. I figured if it was shut down, all the trucks that didn't know and all the trucks coming from Vegas would be hitting the truck stops in Barstow and I wouldn't be able to find a place to park. After checking I found out that it was indeed shut down. J woke up about this time and we went into the Ludlow Cafe and grabbed a bite to eat. Pretty darn good chili cheese burgers, but I am paying for it today. LOL While we were in there we were talking to a retired couple that had just bought a used motorhome and were living in it. She had lost her job at a real estate office and he either quit or was laid off from Lowe's. Anyway, they put the house up for sale, downsized everything and were just starting their adventure in the RV. They were a really nice couple and we really enjoyed talking to them for a while.

Finally we headed back to the truck and checked online again and found out that I-15 was back open so off we go! We were dropping the load we had at a drop lot in Ontario, CA but wanted to get there asap so that we could get another load that would get us back to Dallas. We found the place and in the process we got another load. We were to pick up another trailer, at the same place we were dropping ours, and deliver it to the same location that ours was going, just a day earlier. Didn't pay squat, but it gives us an empty trailer to get loaded to get out of here. It didn't deliver until 0500 this morning, so last night we dropped ours there, headed to the TA for a shower and dinner and the spent the night there. I got up bright and early this morning so that I could go back and grab the trailer for this drop and get here by 0500 local. We were going to just spend the night there at the drop lot last night, but it is litterally a dirt lot inbetween two cattle lots. I think they are dairy cows, but either way, that place stunk to the high heavens! OMG it smelled like shit, and I mean litterally!! We decided that the TA was the better alternative and we don't like that TA.

So here I sit waiting for them to unload me and hoping that John is looking for us a load that will get us back. I hope he can find something close that I can head directly to so that we can get on the road. Keep your fingers crossed for us!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

interesting blog. Listed you in our trucker blog links section. Be safe out there!

vgrumpy
acourtesyflush.blogspot.com
lifeontheroad.com