Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Citymouse, I'd love a microwave...

However Schneider will not let company drivers have anything above a 180 watt inverter in the trucks. That is just about enough to charge the laptop and that is it. That is another one of the big reasons that we want to get our own truck. We can hardwire a larger inverter directly to the battery and then we CAN have a microwave or small fridge. It will be so much easier to eat healthier when we have a little more room (we hope to get a little bit larger sleeper) and when we have the capability of more power in the truck for the microwave. So for now I will just dream of a time in the future when that will be a reality!


Oh, also, about team freight. Not sure what the deal is. We have picked up in Illinois before. Some states are just bad for freight. I have heard Colorado isn't great for freight, and neither is Washington. But who knows. They pay me regardless of whether I am pulling an empty trailer or a loaded trailer so I don't mind too much. It is frustrating sometimes when you are hunting down empty trailers to take, but that doesn't happen too often. Also, I think some states send stuff to neighboring states (for example) and that would be more solo freight than it would be team freight because it is shorter mileage. And that is just a guess coming from someone still considered a rookie in this field. That was the first time in six months that we have been sent to another state to find freight.

Last night, J picked up the empty trailer and we finally got a load leaving out of New Berlin,WI with a pick up time of 0700 today. So I called in to find out if it would be ready or if they would be loading it overnight and that is why it said 0700. Well, turns out it wasn't going to be ready until 0700 today. So after J picked up the empty, we drove to a Pilot at the border of Illinois and Wisconsin at Exit 1 on I-43. Got there about 2030 hrs I guess and we just stayed the night there. I got up at 0500, fueled up and headed up to FedEx in New Berlin for our pick up. We had been there once before and that always is nice because you know where you are going and what their routine is. Anyway, got the load and headed out by 0800. I went ahead and drove until 1700 today instead of 1500 because J didn't get to sleep until late. I guess it was just one of those nights where he couldn't wind down. We just switched at a rest area on I-44 about half way through Missouri. I still got in 504 miles so he is half way to Dallas where we are dropping off. He should get there around 0300. Just in time for me to take back over. But we are going through Oklahoma and their roads suck so I hope that I can get some sleep through there.

No comments: