Saturday, October 6, 2007

NB through Virginia on I-81

So yesterday I wasn't feeling real good. I finished up my shift, ate dinner and went to bed. I felt like a cold was coming on. Itchy swollen eyes, throat hurting, ugh! Took some Dayquil during the day and then went to bed. Woke up at 0430 in W. Memphis today and felt better. Had the same feeling one day last week when we were heading to Los Angeles. Anyway, at least it hasn't turned into anything yet. And hopefully I can keep fighting it off. With the exception of during training, neither one of us have been sick since we have been on the road and I don't want to start now!

I just finished driving my shift and now J is driving. We stopped on I-81 at Mile Marker 13 which is a truck only rest area. I had heate3d up some Chili in the Lunchbox stove. We had some Frito's and cheese so we made Frito pies. Man were they yummy! Except now I am burping chili :? (TMI right? sorry....) We only have about 275 miles to go to deliver this load. We already have our next load. When we drop this off, we will head to Chester,PA to pick up at Kimberly Clark and head to Sterling,IL. I wasn't happy when we got this run because it is under 900 miles. But because we were stuck in LA and had to do a restart, I think Tonya (our DBR or whatever she is called) set us up with this one so that we could deliver before payroll cutoff and this will put us over 6000 miles for the week. She actually thinks of us drivers. So when I look at it that way, I'm happy with the load. Plus, we will probably deliver Sunday which gives us Monday for the next payroll as an extra day on there. And the load is not high value or expedited so we aren't pressed to rush it there.

J and I are still talking a lot about getting our own truck when our year is up. We know we definitely want to do it, but we don't know what truck to get. We really like the old style but the gas mileage is no where near as good as it is on a newer more aerodynamic one. One mpg difference can mean up to $712 dollars difference a month based on 5000 miles a week, gas at $2.70 a gallon and either 5 mpg or 6 mpg. So you wouldn't think 1 mpg would make a difference, but it really makes a huge difference. So we are going to do some looking around and keep checking out all nof our options.

No comments: