Sunday, May 4, 2008

Albuquerque,NM

Yesterday morning we made it to our pickup in Soledad,CA. Were supposed to be there at 0500. Then changed it to 0800 then changed it to 1000 local. What a mess. So apparently the load we took to Carson,CA was in a 48 ft trailer. I didn't even notice it was a shorter trailer. But anyway, we had to have a 53' one for the load in Soledad. So after we unloaded in Carson, we drove back up to Fontana where there is a Secure Truck Parking place and we dropped the 48' trailer there and picked up a 53' one that was already there. By this time it is 0400 in the morning. And we weren't farting around. We went straight there from Carson, it just took them a while to get us unloaded. Ok, have a 53' trailer but it is dirty. Whomever dropped it off, didn't bother to wash it out first. This is going to go on my list of pet peeves like DrZ's pet peeve of not topping off the reefer when you drop it. (That is fast becoming one of mine also) Drove over to the Sisters Truck Wash there in Fontana and they are closed. Decide to head out because there is a TA on I-5 which is on the way and we can fuel and wash the trailer there. Get there and the truck wash is closed. Tried a couple more on the way and they were all closed. We knew we needed to have it cleaned because we were picking up lettuce. Well, because we were trying to find a trailer wash, and so was dispatch, that put us behind. We never found one and had to sweep it out best we could. Dole, where we picked up, didn't say anything about it, so I guess it was clean enough.

Now, when we were looking at the dispatch information, it said not to bring any pets into the facility. Hello, we have a dog. We were worried about that but when we got there, they didn't have anything posted about no pets, so we just made sure he stayed in the truck and out of the seats so he couldn't be seen. All in all, he was in the truck almost 8 hours without a bathroom break, and he did so good. We stopped at the first place we came to when we left, and boy did he have to go! But he didn't go in the truck and I am so proud of him. He is learning that the truck is NOT the place to go to the bathroom.

Ok, got that load and we are off. We pulled out around 1600 on Saturday and they wand this in NC at 0730 on Monday morning. Not going to happen. We have driven non-stop, except for fuel, since we left and we still have 1586 miles to go. And it is 1330 on Sunday already. We are going to try, but I don't think it will happen. Besides, we ARE going to stop for a shower. If that makes us later, so be it. I'm not driving stinky! LOL!!

At them moment we just passed through Albuquerque and are headed towards Clines Corners. Should get there and switch drivers and grab some lunch then head out again.

So now I have a bitch. I may have complained about this before, actually I am pretty sure I have, but I will do it again. What is it with people, truck drivers and 4-wheel drivers alike, that cause them not to see a turn signal? Driving along with a turn signal on trying to get around a slower truck, and they just keep coming. I know they don't HAVE to let you in, it is just a polite thing to do. And when it is another truck driver behind you that pulls out when it is clear and then doesn't let you in, after following behind you for miles watching that turn signal go blink-blink-blink. That is either someone that doesn't need to be driving because they are blind, or they are just an asshole. And 99% of the time, they are just an asshole. End rant.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ill bet we passed each other, TNet. Im in Barstow right now art the rest area getting ready to drop this load in the morning in LA. You didnt wave. LOL.

Oh, and I agree 100% with your rant!

orangetrucker said...

Hey Tracy,

We are currently at the Pilot in West Memphis, AR. We are scheduled to drop the load qwe are under in about 3 1/2 hours. John is still sleeping and I got up early to shower.

Where ya at and where ya heading?We should get another load to CA today. WE have to be back on the 8th for John's DMV re-test. He has to be in French Camp to meet with Paul for a quick refresher before the re-test.

I may be out of service longer than expected, DBL called this a.m. and wants to see us after we drop our load. So we will have to wait and see what happens.

Look for truck 45592 when your on the road, that's us, you can't miss us we are the slowest Pumpkin team on the road. We were clocked at full speed at 63 mph.

See down the road,

Mark

Allan Mills said...

As always, I enjoy your posts. The issue of the overweight load, and Prime's response to it (their solution was to get another team to drive it illegally) is interesting.

I have to say: after I quit teaming and went solo at Schneider, I had thought about going to Prime because of a truck shortage at Schneider.

However, reading about your first few weeks with Prime, my very favorable impression of them has been somewhat amended. I'm glad I didn't make the move.

However, I think you guys will make it work well for you eventually, no matter what. And I wish you well to that end.

Thanks for sharing your story of life on the road.

Allan

T-Net said...

Allan, the other team actually was legal with that load because they didn't have an APU and I guess just didn't have as much crap as we do. I may vent some but we had the same frustrations with Schneider. I am happy we made the move.