Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bakersfield,CA

Reminds me of that song that Buck Owens & Dwight Yoakum sang. Anyway, made it here around 2100 tonight. Our appointment is in Tulare,CA in the morning at 0700 and it is only about 60 miles from here so we stopped here for the night. We saw the IdleAire and figured it was a good place to stay since they have these stupid no idling rules here in California and they are out and about writing tickets for people that are even using their APU's. This state has some dumbass rules. I would really love for the lawmakers that make these rules to come and live the life of a truck driver for a week and see what it is like when we aren't able to idle. I would like to see them sweat their ass off in the 100 plus degree weather and see how comfortable they are. One night isn't enough. They may be able to make it one night, but how about a full week. I would like to see how fatigued they are at the end of the week working the hours that we do and not having a single good nights sleep because it is too damn hot. It is simply ridiculous for them to think we can do it and then drive safely. I would love to see a solo driver offer to take someone out that was very Pro Anti Idling. We couldn't because we are a team. But a solo driver could do it. First I imagine that not a single lawmaker would take them up on that offer. And second, if by some chance someone did, I can just see them making up some excuse on the second or maybe third day so that they would get out of having to do it for a full week. They expect us to deliver every single damn thing that they use but yet by having no idling policies, it makes it to where the working conditions are no better than people working in third world countries or in sweat shops. And don't even get me started on the insane speed limits of 55mph for trucks when tour buses, Greyhound, large RV's and every other passenger car can go 70 mph. Tell he how that is safe. It isn't safe for us to go 15 mph slower than everyone else. Especially when cars are going at minimum 75, which puts them 20 mph faster than us. Ok, sorry, said not to get me started on that......

Anyhoo......Once we got in here we got another window adapter from IdleAire to fit the truck since we have the top mirror on the passenger side window. Got a TV from them and I cooked dinner. When we were at Walmart I picked up a box meal for $10.99 that had two 8 oz steaks, two twice baked potatoes, veggies and a mushroom garlic sauce. So I grabbed the George Foreman grill out and cooked the steaks. Then threw the rest of the stuff in the microwave and viola! Completely wonderful meal in about 15 minutes. I know I have said this before, but we are loving having the APU to be able to cook.

I was thinking earlier today about how much fun we have been having while we have been out here on the road. It is still hard to belive that we up and quit careers in law enforcement to come and drive a truck but I wouldn't change it for a thing. We get to spend quality time together, we get to see the country, we get to see so many things that other people don't get to. It isn't easy, especially having your own truck. I am finding that we have to be constantly on top of things, but I still wouldn't change it. We are so happy doing this. I guess I have a little bit of nomad in me. We both must. Enough about that, just thought I would share.....

3 comments:

ESW said...

As usual you guys are spot on about the lawmakers that could virtually careless about the truckers working conditions. They & many, countless others take what the truckers in this country do on a daily basis for granted. Each time they reach over to pick up something that makes their life easier pen/paper/food/electronics/ toys etc. etc. they should realize how that product was provided for Consumer purchase. As well as you write Tnet you should seriously consider writing some sort of editorial that could be published in a national publication. Being from a previous career especially law enforcement, maybe someone would listen. Many a driver have complained about these type conditions only to be cast upon deaf ears. Anyway you made me smile today, You guys like many of us out here simply GET IT. Stay safe guys.

EW

John said...

Your issue with the anti-idling is one of the main reasons that I hope to never get sent to California. The strangest thing is that they expect truck drivers to sleep in a vehicle under the same conditions one could receive a ticket or even jail time for leaving an animal.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed you guys, Tracy..I did see the truck, though. LOL. When we were parked waiting to dock in Linden California the day before you guys got there, we had the APU going and I decided to get on the top bunk to watch a movie. No way could I stay up there,. It was WAY too damned hot up there, but nice and cool down below. If we didnt have any way of cooling that truck at all, we would have roasted! Something needs to be done about the no idle policy there, for sure!