Friday, May 16, 2008

Indianapolis,IN

Finally got loaded last night around midnight. Since J hadn't slept much, and my shift was technically almost over, we decided to just hook up to the load and stay there in the parking lot until this morning and head out. So we headed out around 0530 or so. I thought this load was due on the 18th, but it is actually not due until 0730 on the 19th which is Monday. I called today and they are closed on the weekend so it won't do us any good to haul ass to get there. I guess that works out though because now we can stop in Springfield and take the Ace II class. They have it on Saturday so we are going to get that done and head out right after that and go the last 1600 miles. Should give us plenty of time considering California is also 2 hours later than we are so we gain those extra 2 hours to travel.

J drove us into Ashtabula,OH today and we stopped for a while there. He has an Army buddy that lives there that we haven't seen in about 7 years. It was really great to get to visit with him for a while. Got to see his daughter that is 5 that we have never seen. He also brought his dog, not knowing that we have Smokey, and his dog is a 16 week old chocolate lab. So we let them play and Smokey had a blast. Finally someone that he can play with! Ok, so it was only for a little while, but they were so damn cute playing together.

Right now I have stopped at the rest area on I-70 just west of Indy. Since we have that class in Springfield on Saturday morning, and it is only Friday morning now, no need to rush to get there. It is only about 430 miles from here. Super easy drive. May as well stop here and let J get a really good nights sleep. I was really surprised when I pulled in here that there was a spot open. Trucks were parked on the entrance ramp out to the highway but I thought I would give it a shot. Even if I couldn't have parked, I had to go to the bathroom. But I lucked out. And the one was right smack in front of the bathrooms. Can't ask for better than that.

I did run into some rain tonight. I hate freaking driving in the rain. Luckily it wasn't bad at all and didn't really bother me. Also, coming through Indy on I-70, the speed limit is 50. I haven't driven through Indy much on I-70 because it was under construction when we first started driving and shut down. And the other times we have had a hazmat load and had to take I-465 around. Well, I have been through it once, so I was actually going the speed limit coming through there tonight because it was raining and I wasn't real familiar with the road. Good thing I was. This DotLine truck passed me going probably 60, not super fast, and he gets about 1/4 mile in front of me and a trooper pulled him over. I saw several others working that area too. I bet they work it pretty good because the speed limit is so low and most people speed through there. So a word to all you out there, don't speed through Indy. Do the slow ass 50 mph that is posted or they will pull ya over!

Guess that is all that is happening. I think I am gonna hit the sack for a while.

No comments: