Thursday, February 28, 2008

Carlisle,PA

Last night J got me to within 30 miles of where we were to deliver today. So this morning I get up at 0530 and head over to where we deliver. Found it with no problems. Got in there and got backed up and they guy comes out and tells us that we have to unblock the product while they use the forklift to get it out. It said that on the paperwork but I didn't notice it. So we have to take care of that. Get that done and when we were done we still didn't have a load. We were only about 15 miles off of I-95 so I headed back to I-95 then went south about 15 miles to a Pilot we passed. Parked there and we went inside and grabbed a shower. By the time we came back out we finally had a load. THANK YOU Thom, for he got us a load to Fontana,CA. FINALLY we are headed back south.

At this point, J lays back down and I take off. I have to get from Middletown,DE to Lititz,PA. And of course it can't be easy. Nothing back east is. For one thing, the shortest route ANYWHERE around these parts is going to include a state route and a US Highway. Both of which will be two lanes, no shoulder, maximum speed of 45, 12.5% grades (yes, I had those today) and many Amish carts. Hence why it took me almost 2 hours to go 46 miles. Also, there is a detour from MD222 that says to take 276 to 275 and apparently I missed something somewhere because I ended up driving along the banks of some river and there was NO other truck traffic. I really started getting worried thinking I shouldn't be where I was, but there were not any "NO TRUCK" signs. So the detour was apparently more for the ease of things because I definitely went the tight-ass hard way. Came across a rail road tressel that I had to go under that was marked 13'6" and that was close. The town I went through, well one of them, had houses practically ON the street, with NO sidewalks and you couldn't park on the street or cars couldn't get through. Power lines were extremely low and at one point, there was a LONG extention cord out a window, across the 2 lane street, and to a RV for power. I saw that and just knew I was going to pull it down. But the good Lord was watching over me because I made it through without incident. I did go through a few other small downtowns where I had to make turns on the US routes and cars were having to back up for me so that I could make the turns and I was using ALL of my space. Not my most favorite trip because of how tight it was, but the Pennsylvania and Maryland country side is gorgeous. I meant to take pictures, especially of the Amish cart I passed, but the road had no shoulders so I couldn't pull over anywhere and get the camera out.

Mark, if you happen to read this, we are taking this load to Fontana. We should be there sometime Saturday night. If you are still there, I know you finish class on Friday, but if you are there waiting on a TE or something, maybe we will see you Sunday morning.

Not much else to post at the moment. I am about to get ready to head out to the truck and hit the sack. I will wake J up here in about an hour and then he can deal with the wiper and the trailer. :) My work day is done!

No comments: