Friday, February 15, 2008

Made it to Missoula

And I am calling it a night. Only got about 430 miles today. I am sucking at this solo gig. LOL!! I got up and headed out and got out of Oregon, crossed through Washington and Idaho and ended up here in Missoula,MT for the night. But I am so darn tired. I think part of it is that I am not used to driving this late. And part of it is that I am fighting not getting what J has. I have taken Dayquil both yesterday and today. I think I caught it in time, but I just don't feel 100%. J is feeling some better though and I hope he will be able to start driving again Sunday afternoon. If he does, then we will definitely get this load in a day early.

Did have an interesting thing happen today though. I got pulled into the scale house for a Level II inspection. J has had a Level III before where they just check your paperwork. The Level II is where they do a walk around of the truck and check lights, horn, signals, flashers, tires, fuel, fuses, flares and registration on truck and trailer. Then you have to go inside and take all your paperwork for the load, your logbook, permit book, medical card and drivers license. I honestly was dreading the first time I got pulled in for an inspection, but I wasn't worried one bit when it actually happened. For one thing, we run legal, and for another thing, it helps coming from a law enforcement background. They don't make me nervous at all like they probably do some drivers. And not feeling up to par, I was kind of like, "Hey, whatever." Trooper was real nice though. He actually used to drive a truck before he went into law enforcement and still has a brother and sister-in-law that drive so he was cool.

Oh, I forgot to tell you. Ok, the other day, Wednesday morning actually, we stopped coming over Snoqualmie to chain. Well, all of us trucks were on the right shoulder, then there was a guard rail, then a little local frontage road that ran parallel to the interstate. While J out chaining, he looks up and hollers at me, and there is a HERD OF ELK running down that little frontage road! It was the wildest thing! I swear this is what the elk were saying to themselves, "Hey, look at us! Streaking past the humans! WOO HOOO!!! Look at us go!" It was really neat though. You usually see them in a meadow or you see one or two run across the road in front of you. And usually, it is deer, not elk. But this was a little herd out for their morning jog. It was awesome. And it happened so fast, we didn't have time to get the camera.

I think that is all for today. I am going to check e-mail and hit the sack. Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

3 comments:

Allan Mills said...

T-net and J -- Just a note that I am enjoying reading your blog very much. I was teaming until about 6 weeks ago, so I have been most of the places you guys are going (including those hellacious weeks-on-end in the NW). Terry and I were on the same board (our DBR was Julian, but our TP was Thom, but we talked to Tonya often, and liked her).

Good luck getting your new truck. I just finished reading about two weeks' worth of your entries, and love the addition of pix. I put some pix of Montana at the rest area on I-90 eastbound just before Lookout Pass on my blog, but none since then. You have inspired me anew.

Anyway, love the blog! J, hope you feel better soon, man!

Allan From Gawja (my PD.com nick)

T-Net said...

Hey Allan! Thom is our TP also. I have talked to Julian several times and he was always really helpful. I guess him and Tonya were taken away fron Patrice in December and are now under David. Tells you how much we call in. We didn't even know we had a new DBL until she mentioned David's name on the phone one time. Then I had to e-mail her and get the skinny on when we got a new DBL. Anyway, glad you like the blog, and I know you can relate. :) So you are solo now, right? How is that going?

Allan Mills said...

T-net said:

"So you are solo now, right? How is that going?"

I miss Terry lots, but I am enjoying the solitude and personal space of driving solo again. It's going well. I miss being on Julian's board though. Now I'm on one out of Charlotte.

Allan