Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Solo career....& Happy Valentine's Day!!

That got your attention huh? LOL!! Well, J is definitely sick and I have him on lots of over the counter meds. So they put me on a solo board and I got my first load this morning. Picked up half of this load in Kent,WA and then drove down to Hillsboro,OR (a Portland suburb) and picked up the second half of it. Then I headed out to Milwaukee,WI. Currently I am sitting at a Pilot in Biggs,OR for the night. I only got about 295 miles in for the day, but I had two live loads so that took some time.

When I left from my first pick up, I noticed that they didn't brace the load and they didn't leave me any room to put my load straps in. So I had to go ahead and hit the road and hope for the best. I figured at the second stop they would put that merchandise up against the first load and then I could strap it in the back. When I got to the second shipper, I opened the doors and one pallet, a small one, had fallen over. I tried to put it back up, but it was too high and I didn't have the leverage to get it. So when I went inside, the guy that had me sign the paperwork is the guy that was going to load me. I asked him if he could use the forklift and grab the bottom of the pallet and move it back up. He said sure so I though, "cool, don't have to worry about that now." So he starts loading me and after a few minutes I don't feel any more movement. I head inside and ask and one guy goes and checks with the guy that was loading me and he says I am done. Well, thanks a freaking lot for letting me know. (rolling my eyes.....) I head out and pull the truck up so I can strap the load and shut the doors. What do I find? He didn't fix the pallet for me and they had already shut the dock door. Little things like that just piss me off. I know it isn't his job, but I asked and he said he would do it. If he couldn't do it, or didn't want to do it, he could have just said so or told me a lie and said he can't touch another shippers merchandise and I would have been fine with that. But don't tell me you will do something and then not do it. And you can't tell me you forgot because when you drive that forklift in there, it is staring you right in the face. Just proves to me he was lazy and people like that piss me off. Small rant over now. :)

We stopped in Troutsdale,OR at a Flying J and had dinner. I woke J up long enough from his medication induced stupor so that he could buy me a steak dinner for Valentine's Day. Bless his heart, he is so pitiful looking right now because he is just so darn sick. Still running a fever and was freezing while we were in the restaurant. His hands were like ice cubes and normally he is much hotter than I am. But we had a nice dinner even though my baby is not feeling good.

That is pretty much it for today. OH! I have decided that the drive along the Columbia River on I-84 ranks up towards the top of my favorite drives list. Absolutely beautiful.....

2 comments:

Heffard said...

I hope J gets well soon.

Not trying to be nosy or anything, but will being put on "solo" temporarily hurt your income?

T-Net said...

Yes and no. It will hurt in the sense that if we had this run as a team, we would be there tomorrow evening and could possibly get another run before payroll cutoff on Monday evening. But he will probably start driving again Sunday so we will at least get this load there Monday on this payroll provided they will unload us early. It is set for a live unload Tuesday morning. But I am going to try to change that to Monday so we can get paid for it this coming Friday. If not, then yeah, it will hurt. But, we will start the new pay period with 2200 miles already on the books. So we will see how it plays out.