Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas! And a little story....

Not much going on today. We are just sitting in the hotel chillin out. But I wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

I did want to tell you about something that happened day before yesterday that was really cool. I had been driving across Iowa and pulled into the Pilot at Exit 284 to see what the weather was going to do. I pulled in and found a spot then spun around so I could straight line back into the spot. Backed in with no problem, set the brake and hit the high idle. I had been running with my CB on which is something I don't normally do. But the roads were so bad that I had it on in hopes of hearing whether or not the roads were gonna get any better or not. So as we were sitting there, a guy came on the CB and said he had a message for that lady Schneider driver that pulled in. He was talking about me. He continued on to tell a story about how, 25 years ago when he started driving, he came upon a female driving a semi. They were in California I think he said and it was bad weather. He said she was a petite woman, from what the could tell when he passed her. Maybe 5'2" and 130 lbs. She was going slow and had her hazards on. When he went around her, he got her on the CB and asked her what a little old gal like her was doing driving a big truck. She told him that her father or husband (I don't remember which) drove the truck for the coal mines and they were unable to drive the truck because of an accident, so she took up driving the truck to support the family. This driver said that when he saw her and she explained why she was driving, it changed his views of women in this industry. He said that right then and there he realized that anything a man could do, a woman could also do. He said that since then he has had the utmost respect for women that drive a truck in a male dominated industry. Then he proceeded to tell me good luck, God bless and to be careful out on those roads because they were bad. I told him thank you so much and that I wished more male drivers felt that way. He said he was heading out and that he was in a black Pete and when he pulled out, I told him to take care, then he was gone. It was one of those moments where I just felt really good. He made my day. I do wish that people were as tolerant as he is when it comes to women drivers, but overall, I have had good experiences.

So I just wanted to share that with anyone that reads this. It is feels good to be commended for doing your job by a complete stranger. Where ever he is, I hope he has a wonderful Christmas and many more safe travels.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a wanna-be driver that has read your blog from start to finish and appreciate you sharing a part of your life with us. I want you to know that, even with me being a man, I found the story you related to be very touching. I admit that it still surprises me to see a woman, especially a petite woman, driving a big rig but I also learned long ago that a woman can do anything a man can do (and yes, I've even known a woman or two that could pee standing up - don't ask). -TT

Anonymous said...

I forgot...MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!

Pat said...

Great story. I know it's been a few years since you've posted it, but it's a good one to reread. Hope you're having a great September, 2010.