Thursday, January 3, 2008

2008

Well, looking back on 2007, it was quite a year! We started that year with no idea that we would be driving a truck when the year was over. Heck, we had no idea that in Mid February of 2007 that we would quit our law enforcement jobs to be truck drivers. But that is exactly what we did and we haven't looked back. What an adventure. I hadn't seen hardly any of the US and now I can say that I have been to every state except for Vermont! J and I celebrated or 10th wedding anniversary. Jessica got her drivers license. Justin turned 18. Definitely a lot of firsts in 2007!

But now it is 2008 and I am excited to see what this year brings. We have our house up for sale and are really hoping that it sells soon. In another few months we are hoping to buy our own truck and become Owner/Operators as opposed to company drivers. It will bring it's own set of headaches, but it's own set of rewards also. Justin graduates this year. Can I really be that old?? Nah, old is a state of mind. And heck, I am only 37!!!!

I did make a resolution this year. I am going to lose some weight. I would really like to lose about 15-20 lbs. That would put me in the range that I would like to be at. Driving this truck is hard on your body when you do nothing but sit on your ass all day. I have decided that I have to get out and walk more. Last year my resolution was to quit smoking and I did, thank you very much, so I am going to try to keep this one also. Part of losing the weight is to eat in the truck more often and NOT in the restaurants and truck stops. I went shopping and bought groceries for us for 2 weeks and made a menu plan so we will see how that goes. If you are interested, I put the grocery list, and I am going to put what each meal is and the breakdown cost "per meal" on pumpkindriver.com in the "eating healthy" forum.

So.... Now I am sitting at a shippers waiting to be loaded. This will be the first run for us of 2008 so I am hoping things go good! I would hate for it to be a problem filled run, because then I would think "What a great way to start the year! Are the rest of the runs this year going to be like this??" LOL!!

Stay tuned....

3 comments:

orangetrucker said...

What brand of LE were you? I was an MP (Army), and a deputy sheriff for a total 5 years. I absolutly hated it, my Mom is a retired deputy (30 years) and my BOL is a 7year motor vetran of a local city PD. I wanted to be cop as long as i can remember, but I did not have the patience for all the scumbags. Maybe it was just me, but when I had a good bust, and went to court and I became the bad guy, that just bothered me.
BOL,I am scheduled t go t Pumpkin School on Feb. 2, 2008, I hope things work out for me.

Mark

T-Net said...

Orangetrucker, I was local PD. Dispatch, the patrol and blew my knee out, the back to dispatch. My husband was 11 years MP then deputy sheriff and also worked as a jailer. We really enjoyed it but the opposite shifts, opposite schedules and separate departments just got old. But I certainly can see where you are coming from. Sometimes the reality of a job isn't as good as you always thought it would be once you were actually able to do it. Does that make sense? LOL!! Which STA will you be going to? Are you on pumpkindriver.com? Let me know!

tnet

orangetrucker said...

I will be going to the Fontana STA. I am on PD.com as sportster65.
Yes you are right Police work was nothing like I imagined, I was thinking fun & excitement all the time. Most days were routine, slow and boring, then something exciting would happen. But most of the time I just felt like an underpaid babysitter, breaking up fights, busting drunks, and way too many domestic squabbles. Just wasn't my cup of tea.
I enjoy following you and others blogs, hearing firsthand what to expect is invaluable. I'm for the first time, in a long time, looking forward to this new chapter in my life. Good luck,and stay safe.