Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Nebraska

I am SO glad that we decided to stick around at the Gary OC last night. Have you been listening to the news today? That storm that is actoss the midwest is what we sat through last night. Of course it is still going on and the storm seems to just be hanging out and intensifying, but we managed to sit through some of the worst last night and then skate around the top of it. So far I am hearing 3 deaths are to be blamed for this storm system. Sometimes it just pays to listen to your gut and stay put for a while. Once we did leave, J said it rained all through Illinois and then there was heavy fog through Iowa. He finally pulled over around mile marker 180 on I-80 in Iowa and we parked again until 0730 this morning. The temperature was in the low 30's and there was ice on the hood and door mirrors. That meant the roads were icing up. Best to wait until the sun came up this morning to head out again.

Once I took off this morning, things went well. Roads were a little wet, and the sky looked like it could snow, but no precipitation. And finally when I hit Nebraska the sun came out. Now it is about 45 degrees outside. A heatwave!

This load is taking us to Utah. I'm still not sure about the roads, but I am hoping they are cleared up by now. Currently we are in Nebraska and are going to stop in Ogallala and have dinner with some friends of ours. We try to stop when we can and see friends along the way. Last time we were through here it was in the middle of the night and we couldn't stop. But this time we can, so we will stop, shower and then have a good dinner.

That is about all for now. I'll let you know tomorrow how the roads were getting into Utah. I'm not looking forward to Parley's Summit if it is bad weather!

5 comments:

Tom said...

T-Net, I really enjoy your column - and deeply appreciate your "rewarding moment in trucking." Be careful driving in Utah and over Parley's Summit.

T-Net said...

Tom, thank you so much for the comment! And would you be storyteller from PD.com? If so, sorry they came across a bit harsh. I think sometimes people don't think about how something will come across before they start typing. Haven't made it to Utah yet due to weather. That will be in the next entry I am about to make. Take care and thanks for staying tuned to my life!

Tom said...

Thank you, T-Net, for your kind words. Yes, I'm Storyteller - and I feel badly for not having known the PD.com protocols. May I have your permission to weave your experience into a novel I'm working on about two women truckers? If you don't feel comfortable in my doing so, I understand. Thank you, T-Net.

T-Net said...

Tom, I don't mind at all. People that write are creative and you get inspiration from many things, so if my travels inspire you (haha) then feel free to use them. Just make sure they aren't used in a novel where the two women are psycho killers or something! LOL!! And don't worry about the protocol thing. There really isn't one. I think that poster must have had a bad day or something. Most people are very helpful and friendly on that site. Take care!

Tom said...

Thank you, T-Net. My two truckers are women in their fifties from earlier stories who I've been wanting to bring together. I promise you'll like the story. Will try to send you more detail via e-mail reply. Glad you and J made it to Utah. Please be careful driving to Houston.