Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Wyoming....

What is it that Wyoming has against me? I am beginning to think it is something personal. Last night J drove us to a rest area about 13 miles east of Laramie,WY. This left me 323 miles of Wyoming to tackle today. I got up and things went well the first 13 miles. That is where my first stop of the day was because I had to get fuel. Got that done and headed back on my merry way. Made it about 20 miles down and that is where the wind started. I fought the wind for the next 230 miles. Then, when it couldn't get any worse, it started snowing and blowing snow over the road. ARGH!!! And up until that point, the roads had actually been clear and dry. It was just extremely windy outside. But at the point that the snow started blowing, I was dealing with white-out conditions at 1330 in the afternoon. I had to wake J up and have him help me watch the road because I couldn't even see but maybe 50 feet in front of me. It was bad. We finally see an exit and we take it. It is exit 30 which means I am almost out of this forsaken state! But here is where it gets fun. We are now stuck right here until tomorrow morning. The winds are really bad and the weather service is saying they will calm down over night. Also, it is currently snowing just over the border in Utah. I-84 is a mess according to the drivers that just came through there. AND, I-84 is actually shut down going into Idaho which is the way that I am going. So, we decided to stay put here until in the morning. Yet another night spent in Wyoming due to the winter conditions. On the bright side, only 30 more miles to go to Utah, and even though it is snowing there, they have the salt-spray for the roads so that clears the up real quick. They are much better with clearing the roads than Wyoming is. It should also give them time to clear up I-84 into Idaho where they have it shut down. I have definitely decided that when we get our own truck and become Owner Operators that we are NOT going to come through this state in the winter. And if the winds are always this bad, I am NEVER coming through here again, unless the money is really really really good!

So, now that I have that out of the way..... :) I got some good sleep last night because Kansas is so flat and straight, and I-70 is a pretty smooth road. Although I am wiped out now from dealing with the Hell state this morning. So I am thinking a nap is in order. We are stopped at a TA, which is really my least favorite restaurant for a truck stop, but we went inside and ate. I got the chili bread bowl which was actually pretty good, especially since it is so freaking cold outside. Temp is supposed to be -11 tonight. Brrrrr I may have to make J snuggle with me tonight to keep me warm. Times like this I really wish we had a toilet of some kind in the truck, like RV's do, because it is so damn cold when you have to get out of the warm truck to go inside for the bathroom. I guess that is just one of the things you have to deal with though when you drive one of these things.

More on the continuing saga later. My bunk is calling me......

1 comment:

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.