Monday, January 14, 2008

Kansas

This is a stretch of road that I have never been on. Hard to believe considering that we have been driving this truck for 9 months now. But it is true. We haven't been on this stretch of I-70 before. From Kansas City to Denver. But this time we got on I-70 in Salina and headed west. First, I do want to mention, that at exit 252 in Salina,KS there is a Bosselman's Pilot with a Grandma Max's Restaurant inside. We stopped and fueled up, showered and had lunch there. I have to say that I had one of the best steaks that I have had so far being out on the road. I got the 12 oz sirloin and I swear it was about an inch and a half thick and cooked perfectly. So I highly recommend that place. OH, and the sweet tea was awesome!

Ok, so I left off yesterday while we were at the Houston OC. So I got the tire fixed and took off. It took WAY longer than I thought to get to Arkansas because we took US 59 to US 71 and you just can't make good time on that road. Especially up in Arkansas where it is curvy as hell and a lot of the curves are marked 45 mph. In Texas it is mostly a 4 lane road, but in Arkansas, until you get to Fort Smith, it is a tiny 2 lane road with no shoulder. Not fun at night. Joe finished driving and got us in there around 2130. Dropped and found out that Walmart didn't have any empties for us to take. Luckily, we were now heading to Jenks,OK which is a suburb of Tulsa and they had us pick up an empty there in Tulsa so we didn't have to go out of the way. We did however have to bobtail 122 miles to Tulsa and it is not a smooth ride when you are bobtailing. But we got the empty and then made it to KC (Kimberly Clark) there in Jenks to get our next load. Then J found a little gas station/truck stop right up the road that we could stop at for the night. It was about 0300 by this time and I got to bed at around 1100 again. I don't know why I couldn't sleep. I think the short run messed up my system and sleep schedule. Anyway, he set the alarm for 0800 so we got up and headed out. I drove us to Salina and then J took over. So right now we are around mile marker 190 in Kansas heading west. I figure by tomorrow at the end of J's shift we should be in Washington at destination. Of course, that is depending on weather.

As a side note, I am sitting in the bunk with the curtain open right now while J is driving. From back here, it is like watching a movie on a big screen or something. That is how I would define looking out the front from here. And it seems like we are going slow. But then when you get up in the passenger seat, it feels completely different. I can sometimes almost get carsick sitting in the passenger seat because of the way the truck leans going around corners. I know it is just because it is a high profile vehicle, but it can feel really wierd sometimes. And I NEVER got car sick or motion sick before. Just thought I would share that. Wierd....

4 comments:

Heffard said...

I have been on that road. I was stationed at Ft Carson, CO. while in the Army. I 70 was the way back home to KY. Kansas is a long boring drive though.

Stay safe.

T-Net said...

J was also stationed there for his last duty station. He got out in early '96. MP. And yes, it was a long boring drive, at least J said it was. I was finally able to get some sleep since the road was so straight! haha

Heffard said...

I got out in late 96 as well. I was with 1/4 Aviation, and then 3rd ACR. I worked on Apache helicopters. What did he do?

T-Net said...

He was an MP with A Company/HHC. You may have crossed paths and not even known it. haha I don't know all the correct terminology I just know he was an E5 Sergeant when he got out. Small world!