Saturday, January 12, 2008

Texas!!

Well, we made it to Utah to deliver. Finally! Then I drove to our pick up to get loaded so we could get out of there. As I was driving to the consignee in Logan, I had to go up Hwy 89 and there was a sign that said "Oct 1 - Mar 31 Snow Tires or Chains Required" What the heck?? This is not good. That is a steep little road to get from where I was to where I was going. Anyway, the sign just meant that I had to have the chains with me but the chain law was not in effect. Thank goodness. The road was dry. WOOHOO!! So I find the place and get loaded and head back down the steep and windy road and head to the Pilot at exit 344 on I-15 so that I could scale the load. Papers were showing it at 43,000 so I had to get it weighed. They tell us to weigh anything over 30,000 so that our axle weight is correct. Overweight fines are EXPENSIVE and we have to pay those out of our own pocket. Anywho, got that done and we grabbed a bite to eat at a restaurant next door. For anyone who ever gets up that direction, the restaurant is CJ's and it is right next to the Pilot which is on the west side of I-15. They have the most awesome food and huge portions. Their omlets are 4 egg omlets, you get 5 pieces of bacon and I swear they hand grated a large baking potato for my one portion of hashbrowns. AND, they have biscuits and gravy to die for. Home made baby! De-lish....

Ok, sorry, got off track there. Finally headed out to make our trek BACK across Wyoming. Roads were decent until about mm 150. That is where J pulled it over for the night because it was windy and blowing snow was making white out conditions. We had to stop at a parking area, not even a rest area, it was so bad. I got up and took off again to icky conditions but made it about 12 miles down the road to the next actual rest area so we could use the facilities. I had to go! I know....TMI. Sorry... Once I take off the roads are better than I have driven there before, but not great. Still icy and I had one point of about 8-10 miles where I was back down to about 25 because of blowing snow again and I couldn't see a truck length in front of me. But I pushed through and got us to Limon,CO where we switched drivers. J drove to Quanah,TX and then this morning I drove us on into Dallas. We stopped at the OC here and showered, had lunch and did laundry. We also ran into some friends that are going through the driving school here (Dallas STA) and they looked really happy so I am glad! We also ran into another team that are just becoming IC's (Independent Contractors). They just bought a truck using outside financing, and the wife is going to school next week, then her husband who already drives, will be her TE out on the road. We exchanged e-mail addresses and hope to stay in touch. It will be nice to have first hand info from a team just starting out as IC's since that is what we are wanting to do in a few months.

Right now we are headed to Houston to drop off this load at our Houston OC. We actually have our next TWO runs already. I don't know who planned this, but I wish they were always this on the ball. After we drop this load in Houston, we are going to Baytown,TX and picking up a load going to Bentonville,AR. Then we are taking and empty trailer to Jenks,OK and picking up a load there going to Grandview,WA. The only bad part about that load is we will have to go back across WYOMING!!!!! But I will deal. I have decided that I may go drive the Ice Road up in Canada next year since I will have so much experience driving on ice!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We drove up to Yellowknife, NWT last year and had to drive on the ice. Trust me, it was much better than I80 in Wyoming in the Winter! Keep safe out there!