Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Wyoming...Again...Bad weather...Again

You know, I am sure that Wyoming is a really beautiful place. And I am sure that there is a reason the people want to live here and experience the "Old West" and a way of life that is much slower paced than the lives the majority of American's lead. But for the life of me, I do NOT understand what they like about this place in the winter!! Don't get me wrong, the snow is beautiful up here. But is it no fun at all driving a semi on ice packed roads, with wind blowing a minimum of 40 mph and snow blowing over the road. Right now we are stopped at a place called Little America which is located at mile marker 68 on I-80 in Wyoming. I-80 is currently shut down from mile marker 30-39 and then from mile marker 30 to the Utah state line, they have the chain law in effect and no unnecessary travel permitted. Do you think my load of laundry soap is considered necessary travel? Well, not in my book it isn't. :) The reason the road is shut down is due to winter conditions that caused a Covenant truck and another truck to wreck and the Covenant truck is carrying a hazmat load. When I heard it on the CB they were saying they were waiting for Hazmat to get out there. Who knows how much longer that will be. What kills me is that I only have 140 miles to go. I am so close! Also, they have me routed to take I-84 to I-15 when I get into Utah and I was told that will take me through the Canyon and not over Parley's Summit so if that is true, I am happy about that. I called the number for the Utah road conditions and they have the chain law in effect up on Parley's Summit right now and I wasn't looking forward to that drive at all. For those that have been following our escapades, you know this is our first year driving which means this is our first winter driving. I have had more than my fair share of bad weather this year. I just figure if it is so bad that they are requiring us to chain up, then it is too bad for us to be driving at all and we are safer parking. So that is what we have done. Parked and are now waiting to see what happens with these roads. Besides, my fingers need time to get back to their normal positions from gripping the steering wheel so dang hard this morning. I think I left my fingerprints permanently embedded in the steering wheel......

No comments: