Thursday, January 24, 2008

Snow? In Southern California??

YES!! I swear. What a month this has been. I try to stay positive, and I am actually feeling pretty good right now. It is just sometimes, after a certain point, you just have to laugh at what is thrown at you.

So we get this load coming to California. Sunny California, right? We are enjoying the trip, taking our time and are thinking we will make it in today around lunch, which we did. It started off last night. J shut down (with the other team) in Flagstaff. I didn't get up but he told me the weather was bad. So I just snuggled back under the covers and went to sleep. Got up this morning at 0330, got dressed, opened the curtains, and it was snowing. Yep, that's my luck. So I figure, well, we are in the mountains in the Flagstaff area, and it is about 5000 ft elevation, so I could see it happening. I jus tget ready, take off, and plow right on along.

I make it to the Arizona/California border and it starts raining on me. Sheesh! Keep on keeping on, right? Make it across the valley, hit I-15 south and start myascent up the mountains so I could drop down into the Los Angeles area. I hit Cajon Pass Summit, which is only 000 ft elevation, and it is SNOWING!! This is sunny California DAMNIT!!!! What the heck is going on with this snow?? LOL!! I really just couldn't believe it.

Anyway, made it down and made it to the consignee. Nestle in Mira Vista has to be the most screwed up place for drivers. You have to park, go up to a phone booth, push a button and they talk to you over the intercom. Well, it was raining. And there is a line of us drivers standing out in the rain waiting on our turn to get in the dry phone booth to talk to someone and find out what the hell we are supposed to do. Finally got that done and we lucked out and got another load as soon as we left there. We have until 2000 hrs local time to pick ut up, so we went to the OC and got some lunch and took a shower. Now we are headed to pick up the load. We are going to go back to the OC and get some sleep and then head out at 0400 in the morning, J still isn't feeling very good and he really needs some rest. Thank goodness we are headed home with this load so he will be able to get plenty of rest and take some good meds to make him all better.

No comments: