Friday, January 18, 2008

My new favorite place

So here is what went on today. I got up and we were at a rest area on I-84 around mm 172 in Idaho. So I take off and it starts snowing on me. Doesn't this sound like the kind of luck that I have?? Anyway, drove about 100 miles and then hit Utah. Still snowing there. It was that lake effect snow. This time we decided to take an alternate route and take US 6 out of Salt Lake and take that down to Price and hit US 491 and then go through Moab,UT. From there will cross the southwest corner of Colorado and come out in Albuquerque. Now we are on I-40 and will take that to Amarillo and then US 287 into Dallas. By going this way, not only did we avoid going through my nemesis, Wyoming, we also cut about 150 miles off the trip. So, that rocks!

Now, for my new favorite place. I have decided that I absolutely love Moab,UT. Have you ever been through this little town. The biggest thing it has going for it is Arches National Park. Of course the Colorado river runs through town and there is hiking, biking, camping and all sorts of other stuff to do. But this little town is tucked in a canyon and it is absolutely breath-taking. If you ever get a chance, you need to visit this little town. It needs to be on your must see list of quaint American towns.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning, T-net. Yeah, been to Moab, long ago. Arches are beautiful - stark and graceful at the same time.
Four weeks till training in GB...
We commute 100 miles in Chicago traffic each day. It's a toughy.
Wave to my mom next time you're in Idaho, she lives west of Boise in Nampa.
Bob

Unknown said...

We love when we are routed that way too. You'll have to find time to park at the rest stop by the "House in the Rock" and take the tour or at least walk around and see all the antiques and animals.

Unknown said...

T-net, I lost my comment line on my blogspot... can you tell me how to get it back ?
Bob

T-Net said...

Craig & Diane - We have stopped there once but didn't do the tour of the house. I told J that we are going to have to do that for sure. I was reading a Utah Tourism book at the truck stop in Green River and it says that the guy that built it drilled for 12 years to make the house and then moved in with his new wife in something like 1953. He died a few years later and then for the next 17 years, his widow ran a cafe and coffee shop there. I thought that was really cool.

Bob, are you guys commuting that 100 miles one way or round trip? And is that to your current jobs? I has a 98 mile rount trip at the police department before I quit. I know what a pain that commute is. I will definitely wave next time we are up there in Idaho to your Mom! Also, I am sorry but I have no idea about the comment line. About all I know how to do on here is post!